Can I get my website back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphx10ho

Reaction score
Hi. I am very new to website building, but I did manage to get one online. I see now however that it was suspended due to inactivity. I was not aware this would happen, and seem to have lost my website. I have tried to redo the site, but can't seem to get it to go.
I'm wondering if there is any way to retrieve my website? The control panel says it is not there. Any help is much appreciated!!

ssfdre38

Reaction score
go to your x10hosting account profile and re-read the suspend notice and you will see how you can self-unsuspen your account

bphx10ho

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but it didn't say, and my website is gone. It has been over the 21 days, so I think it is really gone. I was going to file an apeal, but can't figure out how to do that either.
go to your x10hosting account profile and re-read the suspend notice and you will see how you can self-unsuspen your account

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You can't appeal inactivity; it's all on schedule, and there are no grey areas to dispute. You have to log in to the SSO portal ( https://x10hosting.com/sso/login/ ) at least once every 30 days; that's the only thing that counts as "activity". If you don't, the account is suspended, but you can (usually) unsuspend yourself for a period of time (up to 21 days; brand-new accounts have less leeway because they are often abandoned immediately). If you find that you cannot unsuspend yourself (it happens from time to time), then you can post here immediately to have a support volunteer address the problem (often manually suspending then unsuspending the account will be enough; sometimes the server needs a harder kick).

Once that time has passed, the hosting account is automatically terminated/deleted. That includes any user-accessible backups. (Your user account stays, but the hosting account associated with it is removed.) Once that's happened, it's up to you to re-create the site.

bphx10ho

Reaction score
You can't appeal inactivity; it's all on schedule, and there are no grey areas to dispute. You have to log in to the SSO portal ( https://x10hosting.com/sso/login/ ) at least once every 30 days; that's the only thing that counts as "activity". If you don't, the account is suspended, but you can (usually) unsuspend yourself for a period of time (up to 21 days; brand-new accounts have less leeway because they are often abandoned immediately). If you find that you cannot unsuspend yourself (it happens from time to time), then you can post here immediately to have a support volunteer address the problem (often manually suspending then unsuspending the account will be enough; sometimes the server needs a harder kick).

Once that time has passed, the hosting account is automatically terminated/deleted. That includes any user-accessible backups. (Your user account stays, but the hosting account associated with it is removed.) Once that's happened, it's up to you to re-create the site.
Thank you, that is what I thought.
I have been trying to re create the website, but can't seem to get it to go. I had help from a teacher when I first created the website, but I'm on my own now. The tutorials I've found are kind of old and don't look like what I am trying to do...would you have a recommendation on where to go for an up-to-date video tutorial?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You'd have to tell us what you are trying to do. There are a lot of tutorials (not all of them video - I'd suggest that video tutorials are probably not your best bet) at all skill levels, but "web site" can mean an awful lot of different things, involving different technologies used different ways. The only common elements, really, are HTML and CSS, which have both changed a lot recently, so anything you find from before about 2012 will be severely dated by now. (That doesn't mean they won't work, just that it was a lot harder to do simple things "way back then".) If you're looking for very basic, then a good place to start might be W3Schools HTML 5 introduction. ("Way back" in 2012, I'd have told you to stay far away from W3Schools, but they've really improved their material.) If a you find a tutorial that advises you to use XHTML, it is wildly out of date - stick to HTML 5.

bphx10ho

Reaction score
You'd have to tell us what you are trying to do. There are a lot of tutorials (not all of them video - I'd suggest that video tutorials are probably not your best bet) at all skill levels, but "web site" can mean an awful lot of different things, involving different technologies used different ways. The only common elements, really, are HTML and CSS, which have both changed a lot recently, so anything you find from before about 2012 will be severely dated by now. (That doesn't mean they won't work, just that it was a lot harder to do simple things "way back then".) If you're looking for very basic, then a good place to start might be W3Schools HTML 5 introduction. ("Way back" in 2012, I'd have told you to stay far away from W3Schools, but they've really improved their material.) If a you find a tutorial that advises you to use XHTML, it is wildly out of date - stick to HTML 5.
I created a website in my Web Design class in html and css. At that time we uploaded to x10 to host our websites. Now I have lost the site due to inactivity. I have been trying to re-create the hosting, and seems that it should work, but it isn't. I have the files, I just can't get the website to work after upload to x10. I really feel like I am simply missing a part of what the address will be after upload, but can't figure it out. So I guess what I need is a tutorial on x10 hosting, step by step.

bphx10ho

Reaction score
what (if any) error do you receive ?

what is the URL to your site ?
No error message...but it just takes me to "index of Brooks". Which, instead of the website, has some of the files, but not all, listed.
The URL is ( which doesn't seem long enough)
bph.x10host.com/brooks/

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
The URL is ( which doesn't seem long enough) bph.x10host.com/brooks/
try this link --> [ http://bph.x10host.com/brooks/brooksph.html ]

do you have your own domain to use ?

OR

to make it load with [ bph.x10host.com ] - move all the files into your folder [ public_html ]
then rename file [ brooksph.html ] to [ index.html ] - all lowercase

you have some issues with images that can be fixed later

bphx10ho

Reaction score
try this link --> [ http://bph.x10host.com/brooks/brooksph.html ]

do you have your own domain to use ?

OR

to make it load with [ bph.x10host.com ] - move all the files into your folder [ public_html ]
then rename file [ brooksph.html ] to [ index.html ] - all lowercase

you have some issues with images that can be fixed later
I appreciate your help!

I tried the index.html, now I get the error msg

Mac OS X 2°âTEXTMSIEATTR;šÉÿâxThis resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ

bphx10ho

Reaction score
looks like you renamed a folder and not the file

the URL [ http://bph.x10host.com/ ] goes to [ http://bph.x10host.com/index.html/ ]
You are right, i did change the folder not the file.
Had the home page working yesterday...not today :( I have gotten in touch with my instructor at the college and he is going to take a look for me too. It seems like I am losing the code in the html when I change the name...is that possible?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The home (index) page works fine, but the link to the "home page" on all of your other pages points to the old file name (brooksph.html) rather than to index.html (the actual file name of your home page now). There are also problems with your image sources, but I don't have access to the server file system, so I can't point you to the root cause. Keep in mind that Unix-like file systems are case-sensitive (unlike Windows, for instance).

bphx10ho

Reaction score
The home (index) page works fine, but the link to the "home page" on all of your other pages points to the old file name (brooksph.html) rather than to index.html (the actual file name of your home page now). There are also problems with your image sources, but I don't have access to the server file system, so I can't point you to the root cause. Keep in mind that Unix-like file systems are case-sensitive (unlike Windows, for instance).
I moved the index.html file under a folder named brooks. So it is working under http://bph.x10host.com/brooks/ , but I can't get the links to work even though they are under the same file. Should I just delete all files and re upload them all? If I do under what file to I re upload to? public html or brooks? (something seems to be corrupting the files when I copy them or move them, possibly)

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

The links on /brooks/index.html go to page2.html, page3.html, etc. However, it looks like these files are actually named about.html, and residential.html. ;)

Additionally, the "Home" link is still going to "brooksph.html", when it should be going to "index.html".

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.