can i use phpmailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpo_ca

Reaction score
Hi!

is it possible to use phpmailer? i'm using the smtp option (SSL and 587 port)

thank you!

Kind regards

prateems32

Reaction score
I'm also interested in a reply to this question. Also, where can I find out what version of PHP x10hosting is running?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
. Also, where can I find out what version of PHP x10hosting is running?

cPanel -> Left column -> a bit past halfway down -> PHP version 5.3.27 (this is on Vox, but all Free servers should be the same)

Otherwise, just create a version.php file with:

PHP:
<?php

echo phpversion() ;

?>

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
This is what I see...

server Absolut = PHP version ==> 5.4.21

server Vox = PHP version ==> 5.4.19

server Level = PHP version ==> 5.4.17

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
My mistake. Forgot that I had used an .htaccess override in my test directory to move the version back when that was causing problems. Now the scriptlet shows 5.4.19

cPanel is still showing the older version, but that might just be for cPanel itself.

prateems32

Reaction score
Thank you for the info! I also see 5.3.27 as the PHP version on CPanel. And aye, I'd have run a PHPInfo myself but I thought that was disabled for free users?

More on-topic: I am having trouble with PHPMailer for sure. I'm using Gmail settings, having tried both ports 465 and 587, and both TLS and SSL with each of the former. I get connection timeouts (110) as seen in this picture. Is this perhaps due to a firewall? Are the ports closed?

I would very much so like to get email functionality to work. :x

Thanks for any continued responses!

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You can use various PHP functions to get much of what phpinfo shows.

I have a script that uses PHPMailer to send mail via SMTP and a Google Apps account via port 465. Used to work. No longer. Seems they blocked the ports.

prateems32

Reaction score
Oh, that is a major bummer. Sigh. I was really very much so hoping to make the mail aspect of the site I'm working on, functional. :(
Thanks for your reply!

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
You can use various PHP functions to get much of what phpinfo shows.

You can get a list that has as much and more info then "phpinfo()" with this program (script) --> [ PhpSecInfo]
from --> [ [url]http://phpsec.org/projects/phpsecinfo/[/url] ]

I use it on host where "phpinfo()" will not work (run)

What is it?
from the link above:
"PhpSecInfo provides an equivalent to the phpinfo() function that reports security information about the PHP environment, and offers suggestions for improvement. It is not a replacement for secure development techniques, and does not do any kind of code or app auditing, but can be a useful tool in a multilayered security approach."

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Provided our firewalls are working properly, all attempts to connect to an external smtp server should be redirected to our internal mail server instead. This is done as a means of combating spam, as our internal mail server scans outgoing emails for spam before sending them out.

We previously allowed external smtp connections a long time ago, and this resulted in the IP addresses of the free hosting servers getting consistently blacklisted due to people using external services to send spam, and if the IP gets blacklisted that means nobody on the server is able to send out email to whatever blacklisted it until we can resolve the situation.

cpo_ca

Reaction score
Provided our firewalls are working properly, all attempts to connect to an external smtp server should be redirected to our internal mail server instead. This is done as a means of combating spam, as our internal mail server scans outgoing emails for spam before sending them out.

We previously allowed external smtp connections a long time ago, and this resulted in the IP addresses of the free hosting servers getting consistently blacklisted due to people using external services to send spam, and if the IP gets blacklisted that means nobody on the server is able to send out email to whatever blacklisted it until we can resolve the situation.
Thank you for your answer, i understand the situation but if i move to a premium account, am i going to have the same problem ?

prateems32

Reaction score

Is there anything specific we need to do as users to facilitate this process? And how does this relate to SMTP connections not being made or timing out with properly configured settings, if we even have them? On that topic - are there specific settings we need to apply?

Thanks again!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer, i understand the situation but if i move to a premium account, am i going to have the same problem ?
Premium hosting is not as restricted as free hosting (obviously very few would pay for something and abuse it effectively loosing their money). You would however need too open a ticket and request it as by default it is blocked in firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.