Cannot connect to the internet with XP

Wizet

Reaction score
I need help as I am currently using Windows XP (Yes, I know its old) to connect to the internet. If you are wondering this is a 2nd computer. Anyways I have plugged in my ethernet cable into my XP and it connects with no problem at all. The problem is that it can't connect to the internet but this one can. Can someone help with this problem that I have had for ages? (The reason why I converted to Vista and 7)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
In the PC that is having problems, open up Command Prompt and enter in the following command, and then post up the output here.

ipconfig /all

Wizet

Reaction score
Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-a497ce1b50
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : IEEE 802.11g Wireless Cardbus/PCI Ad
apter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-F4-DE-00-8B

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cabletron DE500B PCI Fast Ethernet A
dapter (21143-PC)
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F8-1F-C2-7A
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.6
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:39:44 AM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:39:44 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
OK, that output of ipconfig looks fine. The PC has an IP address from the network and I'm assuming that is your network range. Now in command prompt, to rule out a DNS issue type in the following command. Post up the output when done.

ping nyc.speakeasy.net

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
That is not my network range. My network range is
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-9B-E8-98-32
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c5d9:14ab:7a12:1b36%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 69.122.178.188(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:34:07 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 20, 2009 9:34:06 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 69.122.176.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.240.177.13
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So does anyone else find that strange?

For the ping I get: Ping request could not find host nyc.speakeasy.net. Please check the name and try again.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
In that case, the PC isn't getting a proper IP range. What brings up another question though is this: Are you plugged directly into a cable modem? I see that your IPv4 address is in fact your public IP address! If you have a router, you should not be pulling your Public IP address, and in fact, your PC should be holding a Local address/Static IP from the router and the router containing a public address on it's WAN interface. Since you have Two PCs, can you explain how the network is laid out? On the XP machiens, check the TCP/IP settings in the card's properties window. Set them to acquire an IP address as well as a DNS address automatically.

Also some cable services are MAC bound. Rebooting the modem may be needed.

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
I am not using a router but actually using the router as a sort of hub. But for some reason I cannot connect to 192.168.0.1 or something like that for both of the computers. Also I will try to reset the modem.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I am not using a router but actually using the router as a sort of hub. But for some reason I cannot connect to 192.168.0.1 or something like that for both of the computers. Also I will try to reset the modem.

Could you tell me what cable modem you have as well as the model of the hub you have? I think I know what the problem may be.

Wizet

Reaction score
The name of the modem is: Motorola Surfboard SBV5222. The name of router/hub is Zoom ADSL X5. Need any other details? Also my ISP is no longer Verizon but now Cablevision-Optimum.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I know for a fact you are on Optimum Online and not Verizon anymore. You posted your public IP address above which I used to trace to find out if you have Cable or DSL.

Well, let's see here. From looking around online, the Zoom ADSL X5 is an ADSL modem + router combo unit. The Motorola Surfboard modem you have is a cable modem, though having it's own DHCP server built-into it, the DHCP server disables itself when a connection to the cable company's network is obtained and an IP address is given to the modem, in which case the modem goes into bridge mode and passes the public IP to your PC (which is very insecure! You should be behind a NAT router in this day in age at the very least even if you have a Software firewall). Now, because your cable modem is using a bridge mode to your devices, you need to have another device that will be able to obtain a DHCP address from the cable company, and hold that address and then be able to use NAT to take that address and route it throughout to other computers.

Now if the Zoom ADSL X5 router you have does what a Westell 327w can do, you should be able to set the modem up to use Ethernet Port 1 on the router as a WAN port and make it authenticate via DHCP, and then from there, you can use the ADSL router's ports 2-4 as well as the wireless features in it just like a normal router. This I think is your problem all along :) If your ADSL router can't do that, might as well go pick up a cheapo router someplace and hook it up to the cable modem.

Am I getting this correctly?

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
o.o I didn't pick up a single work that was mentioned.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I know, it can be a bit confusing at first, but that's networking. Just wait to see what you're going to be smacked with if you were to take a Cisco class though. I don't even know half of what is Cisco material :\

Basically, the way I see it, you are using your old DSL modem from back when you had Verizon as your ISP, to hook up to your Optimum Online cable service. Since your DSL no longer works, you are no longer using your DSL router as a modem for DSL, and instead are trying to use it as a cable router. Now, devices these days use what is known as DHCP, which is what allows your PC to obtain an IP address on the network as well as configure the PC for proper information such as the Gateway address you should have seen in the ipconfig command I had you run (that itself is not routable on the internet unless you have a public IP address, such as being plugged into your cable modem directly).

Now, seeing as though you have a Motorola SurdBoard modem, for what I know about Motorola modems or any cable modem really, when the modem is unable to connect to the cable network, the modem has a built-in DHCP server, which will hand out local network addresses to your PCs, so you can ultimately attach a hub or a switch to the cable modem to network your PCs together. However, if the cable modem obtains a connection to the cable network and the provider allows the modem on, the modem will switch off it's DHCP server, and the modem will go into what is known as Bridge mode, where all data such as the IP address info as well as any traffic will simply pass through the modem onto a device such as a PC or a router. If you had a switch connected to your cable modem when this happens, all but one PC would obtain an IP address and would connect, and I'm almost positive that each PC would be unable to see the PC holding the Public Internet address (the one the modem bridged to). In this case, this would possibly cause what you are seeing. However, this is not the case and you're adding a DSL router into the mix.

Now, see the problem like this. Normally when you plug your PC directly into the cable modem and the modem is in bridge mode, your PC in the case of cable networks will look for the DHCP server on your ISP's end, which in return, based on the Modem's MAC address, would authenticate your PC onto the cable network, and the DHCP server will send your PC information such as it's public IP address, DNS server addresses for looking up site names, as well as the default internet gateway that you are assigned to in order for your PC to get to the internet. This is what happens when your PC is plugged into the cable modem, and it is basically making your PC's Ethernet port act as a WAN port on devices such as a router.

However, what you are trying to do is make your DSL modem act as a router, and try to obtain a DHCP address from your cable provider, when yet the DSL router itself uses DHCP on all of it's ethernet ports, simply due to the fact that the router was meant to use the DSL connection as a WAN (wide area network) connection. Basically, you cannot just take the DSL router and expect one of it's Ethernet ports to start acting as a WAN port when no DSL connection is available. On some DSL modem/router combo units such as a Westell 327w I described earlier, though the modem can use the DSL end of the modem as a WAN port, deep in the settings of the Westell, there is an option where you can tell the Westell to take it's first Ethernet port, which is supposed to be a LAN port, and you can convert it into a WAN port in which the router can use DHCP or whatever method your ISP uses to connect to the internet through that part, and then use NAT (Network Address Translation, the thing that causes you to need to forward ports when on a router for newbies) to split up and route the traffic that comes in and out of the First Ethernet port to the other ethernet ports the router would have, as well as the wireless. The other PCs would be accepting DHCP through the modem.

Really, the only way to use a DSL modem as a router would be to set it up like I described above. Otherwise, the only thing it is really good for is acting as a switch/wireless gateway for a local network. If your cable company allows you to take more than one DHCP address from their network (which means you're paying EXTRA a month for the amount of addresses needed), you can ultimately turn off the DHCP portion of the modem and the DSL router can act as a switch/hub in a proper way. So really, the only way you can use a DSL router as a hub/switch would be as I described above, or if you had another device which would act as a router, a NAT device as well as a DHCP server (unless you manually assign your PCs static IP addresses) and a gateway to route the data.

Honestly, this is the simplest way I can tell you about what is going on before having to say everything out in a massive tl;dr post. Any questions?

Wizet

Reaction score
Massive Wall of Text (MWoT) Anyways if the cable is DHCP and my router/hub is using DSL then normally it isn't supposed to work. in this case my Windows 7 is working but my XP isn't. I have tried doing start->cmd(admin)-> ipconfig /flushdns, /release, /renew on of my computers. I find that not normal since that you said the both working together isn't right.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
It isn't right, but if your router supports it, it can be done. What is really interesting is the fact that Windows 7 can connect and that Windows XP is unable to do that. Both operating systems are using DHCP in order to obtain a connection, right? They're also getting DNS information from DHCP as well, right? If the TCP/IP networking is installed properly as well as set up properly on both machines (and set up the same), then there is something odd going on.

Though as a question, did this all start before or after you got Cable internet there?

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
This all started after I got my cable internet.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah, so basically what I was saying is both the problem and the solution. If your ADSL router doesn't support using one of the ethernet ports as a WAN port, you'll need to go pick up a decent router somewhere or buy one online.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
So basically I got ripped off $70?

I wouldn't say ripped off, I'd say more along the lines of unaware of features. If you had that modem back from the time before when you had DSL, then it did it's job. Keep in mind that not everything is going to support every feature that one wants or will need, so in this case if the DSL Router doesn't support what is stated above, then that's the case unless there is a firmware upgrade that will open such support up. It'll still do what it was designed to do, which is act as a gateway, as well as act as a DSL modem and a LAN > DSL WAN/LAN > LAN router, it just won't act like what something like a Linksys would act as.

Last edited: