Cannot log into WP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
HELP!

I'm not sure if the issue I am having is related to being hosted through X10hosting or not, but I am not sure where else to turn.

Earlier today I tried to log into the admin for my site (beautifulmess.elementfx.com), but I was locked out. I was told to enter my email and would get instructions on how to get it unlocked. It was through Wordfence. I never got the email.

A few hours later I tried again and this time I got the log-in screen for WP, but my password isn't working and I know it was correct. I have tried twice to get the instructions to get a new password set (once using my email and again with my username). I have yet to get an email and it has been over an hour since I requested them. The email usually arrives within a few minutes, so I am not sure what is going on. Has there been a hack of accounts or something?

glennemlee95

Reaction score
Got to be extremely careful with WordFence. ;) But I'll help you.

Login to your cPanel and go into phpMyAdmin and open your database up. In wp_users, look for your username and hit "Edit" for that table.

Now open a new tab and go to http://www.danstools.com/md5-hash-generator/ and type a new password to use with that tool and past the converted hash into your password field there in phpMyAdmin and save it.

In wp_wflockedout, if your account is in there, delete that table from it.

Now you should be able to log back in to your WordPress dashboard in wp-admin.

To prevent future lockouts, I highly recommend using social media registration and login. I use a great freebie https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-social-login/ for my own site that works excellently well. I even disable registrations in General Settings and this plugin will still function to create accounts and login for new and old users. Just follow it's instructions on setting up the different API's. Yahoo conveniently doesn't require any additional API setup, just enable and go.

I also further prevent people from commenting unless they're registered which they can do quickly and easily through that plugin. This prevents WordFence from blocking most users as they'll just use the social login button to quickly login to comment. Spam bots will then be a thing of the past.

Let me know if you need any further WordPress help. WP is kinda my thing. :)

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! I'm not even sure how I got locked out when I was entering the correct password, but I'm glad there was a quick fix. And I will definitely check out that Social Login plugin.

glennemlee95

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! I'm not even sure how I got locked out when I was entering the correct password, but I'm glad there was a quick fix. And I will definitely check out that Social Login plugin.
Glad I was able to be of assistance. Let me know if you need any further WordPress based help.

Status
Not open for further replies.