Cannot use phpbb forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

asif123

Reaction score
I have recently installed phpbb on cPanel. I have the phpbb index file on filemanager. But I am unable to add a phpbb forum on my website. If someone knows how to create a phpbb forum on my website please tell me.

Thank you.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd recommend uninstalling PHPbb from Fantastico/Softalicious and re-installing it, or doing a a manual installation by downloading the compressed archive from the PHPbb website.

Thanks,

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Where is the phpbb installed to? Your main site works, but without a link to the forum, I can't see if it's working or not.

Make sure you install phpbb in it's own folder in the public_html folder for it to work. Phpbb will then be viewable at yoursite.com/folder_name

asif123

Reaction score
Can someone give me a tutorial on how to install phpbb forums and how to uninstall them?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I would look on the PHPBB site.

A quick overview:

1) Download the newest FULL version of PHPBB from their website.
2) Log into your CPanel and use the MySQL database wizard
3) Create any user and database name. I recommend using "phpbb" because it's easy to remember and it makes sense
4) Upload the phpbb zip file to a folder in the public_html folder or the public_html folder. If you upload it to public_html/phpbb you will have to go to yoursite.com/phpbb to view the forum. DO NOT UNZIP IT ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER!
5) In the CPanel file manager tool, highlight the phpbb zip file and use the "extract" button to extract the files.
6) In your browser, navigate to the phpbb site. It should ask you about installing your site. You may have to go to yoursite.com/phpbb/install/, I forget if PHPBB has an install folder.
7) Your database username and database name START WITH YOUR CPANEL NAME! My cpanel name is garrettr, so my user name would be garrettr_phpbb, in example.

Hope that helps.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
To uninstall, basically delete every file associated with phpbb, and delete the MySQL database you created for it.

asif123

Reaction score
Install in directory
Leave empty to install in the root directory of the domain (access example: http://domain/).
Enter only the directory name to install in a directory (for http://domain/name/ enter name only). This directory SHOULD NOT exist, it will be automatically created!

I have a MySQL database called forum and a public_html folder called forum. What do i right in the above paragraph (Install in directory).

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
install in directory /home/asif/public_html/forum
your mysql database is actually named asif_forum because all mysql users and databases start with your cpanel name.

asif123

Reaction score
I tried that and this is what I got
The installation can not be completed:

- No valid directory name provided.

Click on the browser's Back button to fix reported errors.

In auto installation it tells me there are conflicting file names but in Fantastico in tells me their are no current installations.

Can't the admins of x10hosting install phpBB for me? As I have been trying and have failed for days:(
Edit:
I have given up with phpBB and installed SMF. During the installation I by mistake installed it to the main directory of the site now when i go to the site I just see the forum.
If anyone knows how i can correct this please let me know. I want the forum to be a tab on my site. I have tried installing Soholaunch Pro Edition but i get this:
The installation can not be completed:

- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain edgeware.co.cc, but there are conflicting filenames, therefore we can not proceed. Following filenames already exist in the main directory of the domain edgeware.co.cc (path="/home/asif/public_html/").You must manually remove these files before proceeding with auto-installation:
images

Click on the browser's Back button to fix reported errors.

There are a couple of folders called images and i don not want to delete the wrong one.

Last edited:

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Your best option is currently to look into each folder and moving or deleting the directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.