Resolved Can't Access cPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

infin256

Reaction score
Hi there,

I can log into my account ok, and there is no suspension notice, but when I click "Open cPanel", the webpage doesn't load and instead I get:
This site can’t be reached
x14.x10hosting.com refused to connect.

Is there something I can do to fix this? My website is working fine, I just can't access the DirectAdmin. I don't think it's from multiple failed login attempts, because I just checked it again after a couple weeks and I still have the error.

Thanks!

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing your cookies and internet cache? It sounds dumb, but it actually works quite often.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
IP is not blocked, I checked the last few ones as seen in our login log and none of them are currently blocked. There may have been a temporary block that has cleared itself however.

I can see that the "login key" which is used to log you in from the panel to direct admin is not properly created, usually an indication an old and expired one lives in the session cookies for x10hosting and prevents a proper one from being created. If you try another browser, or use the incognito mode, does that change anything?

Would you by any chance go through a proxy or VPN service? That could also prevent proper login from happening.

As far as I can see there is nothing that should prevent you from logging in.

infin256

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just tried incognito and Safari, but neither worked. Safari's error was:

Safari Can't Connect to the Server
Safari can't open the page "https://x14.x10hosting.com:2222/CMD_LOGIN" because Safari can't connect to the server "x14.x10hosting.com"

I don't use a proxy of any sort. The only thing I can think of is that I changed my domain name in DirectAdmin but the x10 login page still says my old domain name, if that makes sense. Is there anything else I can try?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Try to run a "ping" command from your computer to the server. You may have to google this for your OS, but generally it looks like:

Open the menu
Command Line (or command prompt, or terminal)
type in "ping x14.x10hosting.com"

infin256

Reaction score
Thank you for the continued help! I ran a ping, but it resulted only in request timeouts, which I imagine is Terminal's way of reporting the same error Chrome or Safari has.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It sounds like something is being blocked still. I'll ask an admin to re-check, but rarely this could be a problem somewhere between your computer and x10.

Ping check fails; can an admin see if there's something else to check for a block?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Pings can and will fail as they are low priority traffic for the server, so if the server is busy it will just not respond to those, so a ping in itself is generally not a good way to detect a problem.

A traceroute (tracert) may be a better clue as that would tell where the connection drops, if it is within our network or ISP network or just somewhere along the way.

With an IP blocked in the firewall, user would not be able to view their site either as all traffic would be blocked. Since user claims site works fine that should not be the problem. I also double checked, the IP is not blocked by the server itself.

Is there any possibility that the block is local, say in an environment where non standard ports could be blocked? Such as school (I'd assume dorms as well), workplace etc? Port 2222 which is used by DirectAdmin may be considered a non standard port and be blocked by default.

infin256

Reaction score
That would definitely make sense. My traceroute to x14.x10hosting.com worked all the way through, and I re-pinged it and that worked too. I did recently move into college, so that's probably why I'm now unable to connect. Is there a way around this, or do I have to wait until I can use a different internet source?

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
have you tried a different browser other than safari to log in ?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
That would definitely make sense. My traceroute to x14.x10hosting.com worked all the way through, and I re-pinged it and that worked too. I did recently move into college, so that's probably why I'm now unable to connect. Is there a way around this, or do I have to wait until I can use a different internet source?

Be careful if you explore this option. Technically, there are ways to access x10 indirectly or through someone else's IP address. However, when you do this, x10 may see that you are using a service that has been known in the past by malicious users and you will be blocked.

One possibility is that x10's IP addresses are being blocked. You can check with your IT department that there is no active blocking for 198.91.81.***, which are x10's servers. Also check that outgoing port 2222 is not blocked. An issue you will find with many webhosts is that the control panel software uses a non-standard port like 8193, 2222, 10000, etc. These ports look strange to your IT department and can be blocked since most people don't need them.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Your choices would likely be to wait for another internet source or to try and talk to the admins of the internet connection where you are at about opening port 2222, or as garret mentioned verify that they are not blocking us in some way.

To some extent you can perhaps use ftp, but that depends on what you need to do, as ftp would only be file access.

Status
Not open for further replies.