Changes to Adsense coming soon?

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The package of four measures will roll out over the coming months.
They include a commitment to prevent Google ads being displayed on sites hosting illegal content, preventing the owner making money from them.

Google said that it would introduce new measures to guarantee that sites using Google's own services to host illegal content would be taken down with 24 hours of a request from rights holders.

Source BBC News
Smoke and mirrors for the most to appease the gullible IMHO, Google stoppped allowing its ads on blatent abusers years ago. So they just swapped ad providers for the likes of ad.velmedia.net so no changes there. Will they extend the ban to sites indexing the content of copyright infringing sites as well perhaps? I hope not, some of those Chinese sites are a swine to navigate;)

As for using 'Googles own services to host illegal content' after thier brief foray into video hosting (now since scrubbed) that only leaves the free site hosting and they are not exactly 'roomy' or friendly to use. Though you could squirrel away a few mp3 tracks or a short bit of video it hardly seems worth the trouble when better and free upload sites are about that ask no questions.

But hey, that's just my sleep deprived - caffine fuelled rambling, what's your take on this?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I can see how this can get some webmasters angry, especially for those running forums which can be unpredictable in how they are read by others. Other than that, since I don't see Advertisements it doesn't really affect me.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Google's own services include YouTube, Blogger, Picassa, Google Groups and the AppEngine platform. While one might not be able to store a lot of non-text content on a Blogspot account, they have served as the access pages for a lot of content stored elsewhere, and you can build a pretty substantial site on AppEngine before you run into billable ceilings.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Google's own services include YouTube, Blogger, Picassa, Google Groups and the AppEngine platform. While one might not be able to store a lot of non-text content on a Blogspot account, they have served as the access pages for a lot of content stored elsewhere, and you can build a pretty substantial site on AppEngine before you run into billable ceilings.

Yes .
Google itself through youtube puts adsense.
Youtube includes all sorts of adult videos,pirated information and what not.
So is blogger/blogspot.com
How can they be so blatant.
I am against piracy but the hypocrisy of google is appalling this way.I have an adsense account but it takes super long time to ensure that content is legal,to get video copyright permissions from the owner even if such video is openly available on youtube/vimeo
Ahah.
I need some of you to guide me.I respect this forum such way as the well thought discussions of you help me get through my work easily.
Regards,
VVBB

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes .
Google itself through youtube puts adsense.
Youtube includes all sorts of adult videos,pirated information and what not.
So is blogger/blogspot.com
How can they be so blatant.

I'm sure it's been said time and time again, but the real problem with YouTube that Google's been trying to improve on is how fast content is uploaded and also how reliably things are scanned. They obviously have gotten a lot harder on Copyright and such compared to the past before Google bought it, though there is a compromise between just taking videos down or keeping them up but muting for example the audio. Google in their copyright page specifically states that if your video has copyrighted works in it, they are free to use Advertisements to try and collect revenue to possibly pay for the content being viewed, whereas for public domain videos and such, you won't really find a single advertisement.

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Of late! I can’t understand Google anymore as a company.
They take down probably the best phone (Nexus) (in tech specs) from the market very quickly within a year.
They come up with a new OS but aren’t able to deliver during the peak “post Christmas /new year” time to OEMs.

And, now they don’t have any rule to protect the Google AdSense Publishers.
What the heck?

I don’t understand why they won’t come down heavily on “middleman” aka “partner’s partner’s…..partner’s parter” chain.
If I remember correctly, Google TOS goes on and on about - user’s experience and publisher’s experience.

The fraudsters – not surprisingly are also the middlemen- are abusing these chains to host websites with nothing but ads.
Then, they came up an ingenious method too to avoid getting caught with their pants down.

The poor publisher thinks though getting ripped off by high clicks/impressions, but at least he is getting some “genuine” business.
And sometimes, he goes on to pay more thinking it might help his business.

When, instead he could have got that “genuine” business directly without this “AdSense publisher” program.

Let alone user’s experience (wake up! no one cares about you), but where is the publisher’s experience?

When such networks get busted, all what publisher gets is mere 10-15% back.

For crying out loud, he must have been ripped for more than the 10-15%.

I know Google or in general any Ad company has hidden interests not to act – More Clicks/Impression, whether genuine or fraudulent, means more green bucks in their piggies in may be Swiss bank accounts.

Someone will surely ask me why you are being such a party pooper.

Cause I know that.
I was given some 50-odd USD as incentive for trying out publishers and I saw the rate at which my free dollars got ripped.
Now, compare this rate with your “genuine/honest” advertiser account, do you really get 26 USD in a day? Ever? Ever?
NEVER!

Thanks

prototypedesign33

Reaction score
It seems like recently Google has been bending under pressure to everyone and everything.

Their announcement of Adsense changes has been nothing more than a solidarity pledge. Whether or not they act on it, it's not because they feel robbed or actually angry about people "abusing" their service, they just want to cover their own backside.

I've never really given Adsense a second thought, to be honest, it's not a great service. I don't really know of any better ones off the top of my head, but if I'm gonna put up ads, I want them to be the best there can be, and Adsense ain't that.