Changing Domain Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgpannell9230

Reaction score
I've gone out bought a .com domain name for my website. How would I go about making sure that even though the .com redirects to my x10.mx domain, the audience only sees the .com name? Can this even be done? This seems like it would be a relatively common question, so if this has already been answered before, I apologize!

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
HI,
In your .com domain control panel set the dns server settings to
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com
And then,
Just use parked domains or addon domain from your cPanel and then set them to a folder.Try searching for Addon or parked domains in x10 forums.
This would complete the process.

tgpannell9230

Reaction score
HI,
In your .com domain control panel set the dns server settings to
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com
And then,
Just use parked domains or addon domain from your cPanel and then set them to a folder.Try searching for Addon or parked domains in x10 forums.
This would complete the process.
Thanks, I set the server names. But what exactly do you mean by setting the parked domain to a folder? I've made my .com a parked domain, but am I supposed to redirect it to a folder or something?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You set it as a parked domain. That means it will display the exact same material as your main domain and start in public_html/

If that is what you want, you do not have to do anything. (except maybe change some text/page titles).

tgpannell9230

Reaction score
So, I set the servernames and parked my domain (I parked awkwarddemon.com, just so you have a reference as to what the .com and x10.mx names are), and .com takes me to the proper site, but the domain is still .x10.mx. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

FYI, the site my domain was bought through gave me these options in my account under nameservers:

-I want to park my domains
-I want to forward my domains
-I have a hosting account with these domains
-I have specific nameservers for my domains

The last option was the only one that gave me the ability to put in the .x10 nameservers.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Step into WordPress admin interface and tell wp that the .com domain is your site address (and wordpress address).

The way wordpress works is it redirects (rewrites) the domain to show as the one configured as your site address no matter what address you typed in to get there.

The domain configurations is correct, so you don't need to change anything in that end.

tgpannell9230

Reaction score
Changed it earlier this morning per your suggestion, but it hasn't started working yet. Do you know how long it might take?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
When I go to awkwarddemon.com , everything works fine. All the links are for that domain, etc.

Try clearing your browser cache & history. The change should have been automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.