Changing Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

d17p0911

Reaction score
Hi, I used to use x10 a while back and so I'm fairly familiar with it, but having now gone back to it to kick up another project, I am having trouble figuring out how to change my domain name. I seem to recall it's a simple option, but I see no "Modify Domain" button or similar feature.

I went to here:

http://x10hosting.com/forums/free-hosting/147011-change-x10-domain.html

...but unfortunately, it didn't help me, as the supplied link took me to the same "Account Portal" page (that I remember seeing a domain changing option) with zero button that I can see that will change the domain.

Ta in advance.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
There's currently no option to change the main domain of an account, that was removed a while back to prevent accounts ending up with inaccessible domains (domains left to expire by user, or as in recent case with co.cc ceasing to function without warning).

You'd have to use "Parked domain" or "Addon domain" options in cPanel to utilize another domain, the longer workaround is requesting immediate termination due to wanting to sign up with a different domain.

d17p0911

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks.

I have registered with another domain provider and now use .tk, but annoyingly, .x10.mx still goes through to my site (with different cache and cookies, it seems, because the URL is different? Not really sure if that's just my end or not) and it just.. isn't right. Is this where I contact the x10 guys and ask them to do something to the old domain? I'm new to dealing with domain changes like this.

Last edited:

d17p0911

Reaction score
Thanks. "Note that DNS propagation can take up to 72+ hours" - that basically cleared that up for me, I suppose. My main concern that's left now, is whether the bots will store info for the wrong domain and cause a lot of confusion for when the site gets public. It feels like I've got two websites, which is confusing me. xD I'm just worried the bots will mess with what search engines store.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You have one site with two names.

If the site is called by its .tk name, all the files are being loaded via the .tk name. So, if the site gets spidered via the front page with the .tk name, everything will be indexed via the .tk name.

Try to make sure you do not publish (ie print a link somewhere) the x10.mx name. That way the x10.mx name will not get spidered and cause confusion.

hbazer

Reaction score
My main concern that's left now, is whether the bots will store info for the wrong domain and cause a lot of confusion for when the site gets public. It feels like I've got two websites...

At your account's main domain - which you can not change - setup a small Website - just a place holder

For your "real" Web site - set your domain as a 'addon domain' for it - this will have its own folder for its own code

They would not be the same sites (Web pages)

d17p0911

Reaction score
Untitled.png

I understand about that propagation thing, but there are still two separate domain names in that list, which leads me to believe both are and always will still be active, unless I can remove one. I'm not sure I'm liking this system. :| Seems like my best option is to re-register with x10 which is a hassle, to say the least. I wish I had known about this before I registered; I didn't expect for it to have vanished.

Try to make sure you do not publish (ie print a link somewhere) the x10.mx name. That way the x10.mx name will not get spidered and cause confusion.

Descalzo,
Surely there will already be plenty of links pointing to .x10.mx since there was and still is a site accessible by that URL? I already have the website in place; it's a phpBB forum site.

Hbazer,
I have a website in place, that originally used the free subdomain .x10.mx, and I wanted to change this, to a domain from another provider. Upon Anna's instructions, I changed to .tk, by pointing my .tk account to those two name servers x10 provides, using the "Own DNS" option. I then used my x10 account to "park" to .tk, or something along those lines. What I'm aiming to do, is ditch the x10.mx completely, as I think it's pretty bad to have both working simultaneously. I like the idea from your last post, but it honestly confused me, and sounds like much more hassle than necessary. :| I'm not really 100% sure how to do what you suggested, either. It makes more sense to me, to have the .x10.mx simply redirect to the other domain, but there is no such option, that I can see.

I supplied a screenshot of the area that might make more sense to someone else, because to me, it seems logical that I should be able to remove the previous domain, now that a new proper one is set in place.

If I had spent money on the domain and the premium services x10 offers, then this would be a big let-down for me. :\ I was planning on getting both, including advertising, assuming the site was at a point I felt was right for public use.

I do appreciate all the help, though! Domains confuse me, but I'm getting there; I used to just use the free subdomain.

Last edited:

hbazer

Reaction score
Hbazer,
I have a website in place, that originally used the free subdomain .x10.mx, and I wanted to change this, to a domain from another provider. Upon Anna's instructions, I changed to .tk, by pointing my .tk account to those two name servers x10 provides, using the "Own DNS" option. I then used my x10 account to "park" to .tk, or something along those lines.

Anna did not tell you to "park" it...
You'd have to use "Parked domain" OR * "Addon domain" options in cPanel to utilize another domain...
* bold by me

The link I posted above tells you how "Parked" and "Addon" work --> http://realhandydata.info/wiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain
In short - a "Parked" domain will show the same Web page (site) as the account's main domain -:- a "Addon" domain will show its own Web page (site)

What I'm aiming to do, is ditch the x10.mx completely
As you have been told in the above posts - you can not do that

I supplied a screenshot...
Looks like you are using that thing (program) called "x10Hosting Basic" which I do not use - I use cPanel

###
Here are two (2) links to domains on the same x10hosting's free-hosting account ( which I am helping with programming today)...

This is the accounts main domain --> http://realhandydata.x10host.com/

This is a "addon" domain --> http://sblandscapinglasvegas.com/

As you can see - they are NOT the same - both with what they 'show' and the URLs - but they are both on the same account

d17p0911

Reaction score
OK, thank you, although the attitude was unnecessary - there are humans behind these messages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.