Changing from ubuntu-desktop to ubuntu-server

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I'm trying to change from my current installation of ubuntu-desktop 9.10 to ubuntu server 9.10... but I'm not sure the best way to do this. I've seen people booting into recovery mode and then using apt-get autoremove ubuntu-desktop, then installing ubuntu-server over it... but I'm not sure if this is the best option.

I don't have that much on the partition, and I was wondering whether you think it'd be worth it just to get what I need, put it on a floppy, and repartition, and installing ubuntu-server from CD.

I'd love your two cents before I make a decision.

I'm honestly leaning towards the "dump it and start fresh" side of the argument.

Thanks,
Neil Hanlon

steronius

Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the only difference between desktop and server edition is the existence of the gui. so i would think that removing gnome(et al.) equals server edition.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Fairly certain that's wrong, but then again, I've never removed the GUI to know.

In ubuntu-desktop, things in init.d are processed on login. In the server edition, their started as soon as the machine is booted.

I'm not sure if that has to do with the GUI or what... but I just need to have the server edition, basically.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Eeeeeaaaasy.

Copy /home to something.

Install ubuntu server.

Copy /home back, without the gnome files.

Bit crude, but it'll work.

~Callum

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinkin... But iLl pick and choose what I want. I really only need public_HTML... Plus I need some of the data for the AC server. :p

need more input on this. Should I backup, wipe, and reinstall? Or attempt a removal of ubuntu-desktop (gnome and all it's packages)

slacker3

Reaction score
That's what I was thinkin... But iLl pick and choose what I want. I really only need public_HTML... Plus I need some of the data for the AC server. :p

need more input on this. Should I backup, wipe, and reinstall? Or attempt a removal of ubuntu-desktop (gnome and all it's packages)

i don't know anything about the differences of ubuntu-desktop / ubuntu-server, but i would suggest a fresh install

it just takes a few minutes and you get rid of any useless stuff - back up your personal data and verify it before :)

thesequel

Reaction score
Judging by your posts it seems like your new to Linux. I strongly recommend you either install a LAMP stack on your existing Ubuntu installation or install ubuntu-server over ubuntu-desktop. Only run the following commands if you feel comfortable working in a CLI.

If you want to find out more about the LAMP stack option just ask about it. :wink:

Anyway just run this command IF YOU ARE USING UBUNTU 9.10
The following will remove GNOME (your GUI)
Code:
sudo apt-get remove aisleriot alacarte app-install-data-partner apport-gtk aptdaemon at-spi binfmt-support brasero brltty-x11 capplets-data checkbox checkbox-gtk cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compiz-wrapper compizconfig-backend-gconf computer-janitor computer-janitor-gtk couchdb-bin dcraw desktop-file-utils desktopcouch devicekit-power dmz-cursor-theme doc-base docbook-xml empathy empathy-doc eog erlang-base erlang-crypto erlang-inets erlang-mnesia erlang-public-key erlang-runtime-tools erlang-ssl erlang-syntax-tools erlang-xmerl esound-clients esound-common espeak espeak-data evince evolution evolution-common evolution-couchdb evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-documentation-en evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content f-spot file-roller firefox firefox-3.5 firefox-3.5-branding firefox-3.5-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support gamin gcalctool gconf-defaults-service gconf-editor gconf2 gconf2-common gdebi gdm gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common ggzcore-bin gimp gimp-data gksu glchess glines gnect gnibbles gnobots2 gnome-about gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-blackjack gnome-bluetooth gnome-codec-install gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games gnome-games-common gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-mag gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-nettool gnome-orca gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-session gnome-session-bin gnome-session-canberra gnome-settings-daemon gnome-sudoku gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes-selected gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gnometris gnomine gnotravex gnotski gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-nice gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-tools gstreamer0.10-x gtali gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf gucharmap guile-1.8-libs gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse human-theme humanity-icon-theme iagno ibus ibus-gtk ibus-m17n ibus-table indicator-applet indicator-applet-session indicator-messages indicator-session jockey-gtk language-selector launchpad-integration libanthy0 libart-2.0-2 libart2.0-cil libasound2-plugins libatspi1.0-0 libaudiofile0 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-gobject0 libavahi-ui0 libavc1394-0 libbabl-0.0-0 libbeagle1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libbrasero-media0 libcairo-perl libcairomm-1.0-1 libcamel1.2-14 libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra-pulse libcanberra0 libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio7 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-gtk-0.10-0 libcompizconfig0 libcouchdb-glib-1.0-1 libcroco3 libcryptui0 libcurl3 libdbusmenu-glib0 libdbusmenu-gtk0 libdecoration0 libdevkit-power-gobject1 libdotconf1.0 libdv4 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserver1.2-11 libedataserverui1.2-8 libegroupwise1.2-13 libempathy-common libempathy-gtk-common libempathy-gtk28 libempathy30 libesd-alsa0 libespeak1 libevdocument1 libevent-1.4-2 libevview1 libexchange-storage1.2-3 libexempi3 libflickrnet2.2-cil libfreezethaw-perl libgail-common libgail-gnome-module libgail18 libgamin0 libgconf2-4 libgconf2.0-cil libgcr0 libgd2-xpm libgdata-common libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdata5 libgdict-1.0-6 libgdiplus libgdu-gtk0 libgdu0 libgegl-0.0-0 libggz2 libggzcore9 libggzmod4 libgimp2.0 libgksu2-0 libglade2-0 libglade2.0-cil libglib-perl libglib2.0-cil libglibmm-2.4-1c2a libglitz-glx1 libglitz1 libgmime-2.0-2a libgmime-2.4-2 libgmime2.2a-cil libgnome-bluetooth7 libgnome-desktop-2-11 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-keyring1.0-cil libgnome-mag2 libgnome-media0 libgnome-menu2 libgnome-pilot2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-common libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnome2.24-cil libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomekbd-common libgnomekbd4 libgnomekbdui4 libgnomepanel2.24-cil libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgnomevfs2-extra libgp11-0 libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgssdp-1.0-1 libgstfarsight0.10-0 libgtk-vnc-1.0-0 libgtk2-perl libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libgtkspell0 libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libgucharmap7 libgupnp-1.0-2 libgupnp-igd-1.0-2 libgvfscommon0 libgweather-common libgweather1 libibus1 libidl0 libiec61883-0 libindicate-gtk1 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libkpathsea4 liblaunchpad-integration1 liblircclient0 liblouis-data liblouis0 liblpint-bonobo0 libm17n-0 libmetacity0 libmldbm-perl libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libnautilus-extension1 libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libnet-dbus-perl libnice0 libnotify1 liboil0.3 liboobs-1-4 liborbit2 libotf0 libpam-gnome-keyring libpanel-applet2-0 libpango-perl libpangomm-1.4-1 libpisock9 libpisync1 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gtk-1-0 libpoppler-glib4 libportaudio2 libprotobuf3 libproxy0 libpst4 libpulse-browse0 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpurple-bin libpurple0 librarian0 libraw1394-11 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsctp1 libsexy2 libshout3 libsilc-1.1-2 libsilcclient-1.1-3 libsoup-gnome2.4-1 libsoup2.4-1 libspeechd2 libspeexdsp1 libsqlite0 libstartup-notification0 libtdb1 libtelepathy-farsight0 libtelepathy-glib0 libtie-ixhash-perl libtotem-plparser12 libtrackerclient0 libunique-1.0-0 libuuid-perl libvisual-0.4-0 libvisual-0.4-plugins libvte-common libvte9 libwebkit-1.0-2 libwebkit-1.0-common libwmf0.2-7-gtk libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-atom1 libxcb-aux0 libxcb-event1 libxml-twig-perl libxml-xpath-perl libxres1 libzephyr4 lksctp-tools m17n-contrib m17n-db media-player-info mesa-utils metacity metacity-common mobile-broadband-provider-info mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-share network-manager-gnome notification-daemon notify-osd notify-osd-icons obexd-client onboard openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-style-human pkg-config policykit-1-gnome protobuf-compiler pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-udev pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-utils python-aptdaemon python-aptdaemon-gtk python-avahi python-brlapi python-cairo python-configglue python-couchdb python-crypto python-desktopcouch python-desktopcouch-records python-fstab python-gconf python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2 python-gnomeapplet python-gnomecanvas python-gnomekeyring python-gst0.10 python-gtk2 python-gtksourceview2 python-ibus python-launchpad-integration python-libxml2 python-louis python-notify python-openssl python-pam python-papyon python-protobuf python-pyatspi python-pyinotify python-pyorbit python-rdflib python-rsvg python-serial python-sexy python-speechd python-telepathy python-twisted-bin python-twisted-core python-twisted-names python-twisted-web python-ubuntuone-client python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol python-virtkey python-vte python-webkit rarian-compat rhythmbox same-gnome screen-resolution-extra screensaver-default-images seahorse sgml-data software-center software-properties-gtk speech-dispatcher ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-config-printer-gnome system-tools-backends telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble telepathy-haze telepathy-idle telepathy-mission-control-5 telepathy-salut tomboy totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins transmission-common transmission-gtk tsclient ubufox ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-sounds ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntu-xsplash-artwork ubuntuone-client ubuntuone-client-gnome update-manager update-notifier usb-creator-gtk vinagre vino whois xdg-user-dirs-gtk xsane xsane-common xscreensaver xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xsltproc xsplash xulrunner-1.9.1 xulrunner-1.9.1-gnome-support yelp zenity

Once you've run that you can install whatever packages you want for your server. If you want LAMP you might want to run something similar to the following:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client apache2 php4 libapache2-mod-php php5-mysql

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm not new to Linux..

I think I'll just uninstall and re-install..

Thanks for the input everyone.

justin.scherer14

Reaction score
Okay here is what I have learned,
First, the major difference between the desktop edition and server edition is just the way it is installed and the GUI on the desktop. All you would have to do is the following command:
sudo apt-get autoremove ubuntu-desktop
This will get rid of the desktop interface.
Then all you will have to do is install the necessary components for your system that you want, the basic being the LAMP package.
sudo apt-get install lamp
This will give you what you essentially get with the ubuntu-server 9.10 install.

Now if you are looking for just the easy way to do it, back up what you need and do a fresh install. I hope this helps

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I've already done what I needed yo do, can I get someone to lock this?