CNAME/Redirect help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc se7en

Reaction score
Just switched over to a new domain name (mikebeas.com with the old one being mcse7en.com).

I had a subdomain on the mcse7en.com domain, which was f.mcse7en.com. I stored misc files there. I want to make sure any old links I posted still work, so I'm trying to do a 301 redirect or something similar for that subdomain to point to the new files.mcse7en.com subdomain.

Basically f.mcse7en.com/blahblahblah.png should redirect to files.mcse7en.com/blahblahblah.png. I've tried 301 redirects and CNAMEs but none of it is working. Can anyone tell me how to set this up? All I get is the irritating http://f.mcse7en.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi page that I know a lot of people have been getting lately (that's if I just visit f.mcse7en.com, if I try adding another directory like f.mcse7en.com/something then it gives me a generic 404 page, which people have been seeing a lot lately too).

Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
to actually be able to do a redirect from that to another domain of yours using .htaccess on the server, the domain must be added to your account. If it is not, the server simply does not know how to handle it and where to look for content to display for that domain, and thus serves the default page.

mc se7en

Reaction score
to actually be able to do a redirect from that to another domain of yours using .htaccess on the server, the domain must be added to your account. If it is not, the server simply does not know how to handle it and where to look for content to display for that domain, and thus serves the default page.

Sorry, should have mentioned that mcse7en.com is added as an addon domain in my account already.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't you mean you want f.mcse7en.com to be rediredted to files.mikebeas.com ??

mc se7en

Reaction score
Don't you mean you want f.mcse7en.com to be rediredted to files.mikebeas.com ??

Yeah I guess I mistyped or something lol. Sorry about that, but yes, you are correct. That's what I'm having the problem with.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Querying ns1.x10hosting.com just now ...

DNS server handling your query: ns1.x10hosting.com
DNS server's address: 99.198.122.2#53

f.mcse7en.com canonical name = files.mcse7en.com.

Not sure it will work if you set it correctly, because of the way x10hosting routes subdomains.

mc se7en

Reaction score
Querying ns1.x10hosting.com just now ...

Not sure it will work if you set it correctly, because of the way x10hosting routes subdomains.

That's odd, I specifically recall setting it to files.mikebeas.com, not files.mcse7en.com.

Would using the IP address of my x10 account work better, if there was another step I could use to point it to / (like .htaccess or something)?

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I updated the CNAME properly, please wait for DNS to recatch.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
You had it as an A record going to the servers IP, which won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.