CNAME to subdomain displays website-coming-soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclotis

Reaction score
I would like to use my own domain for my website, but would like my nameservers to remain with my registrar. (IE, not do x10hosting.com/wiki/How_to_Use_Your_Own_Domain)

I currently have bitfn.x10.mx which correctly displays my blog. On my registrar's nameservers, I have a CNAME record pointing from the www host name to bitfn.x10.mx. When I attempt to navigate to www.bitfn.com, I am redirected to http://x10hosting.com/website-coming-soon. I would expect that www.bitfn.com would display my blog at bitfn.x10.mx while keeping my www.bitfn.com url.

Is it possible to make this work? Is this a caching thing? I don't think it is - it has been nearly 3 days, I have been flushing my DNS, and attempting to access the page from different browsers/computers/ISPs.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You will not be able to add your domain to your account without setting the domain to use our name servers, that's how the servers are setup for security (simply to avoid "hijacking" of domains).

Best you can do without changing name servers is set a redirect at your registrar and point it to your domain here, however this will leave the bitfn.x10.mx to be shown in the address bar.

You could technically set our name servers, add the domain to your account in cPanel and then change them back and set an A record (or cname) at the registrar. However you'd also need to set an additional A record to any sub domains you might wanna create in the future the same way, and of course create those at the registrar as well as in cPanel here. And in the event of an IP address change for your account for whatever reason you'd have to remember to update the configuration at your registrar, admittedly the IP is not likely to change but it would still be something you'd have to be aware off.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Looks like it is working now. You should use the x10.mx address to get into your WordPress admin area and change the site URL to the new .com address.

Status
Not open for further replies.