College

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you plan to go to college? Where? What do you want to be?

I definitely want to go, I'm not sure where but I want to be a research psychologist. I plan to get a Doctorate degree no matter what my major is.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Do you plan to go to college? Where? What do you want to be?

I definitely want to go, I'm not sure where but I want to be a research psychologist. I plan to get a Doctorate degree no matter what my major is.

Of course I plan to go to college. lol

I'm applying to the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign's General Admissions field as an early decision applicant.

Do you have any particular colleges that you want to go to?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Of course I plan to go to college. lol

I'm applying to the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign's General Admissions field as an early decision applicant.

Do you have any particular colleges that you want to go to?

Not really. I have in mind Dartmouth (lol, probably won't happen), and Tusculum. If worse comes to worse, East Tennessee State University..

What's an early decision applicant?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Not really. I have in mind Dartmouth (lol, probably won't happen), and Tusculum. If worse comes to worse, East Tennessee State University..

What's an early decision applicant?

Early decision is where you apply for the college a few months ahead of time. If they accept you, you are required to go to that college (it's a binding contract). If they postpone you, you can apply again during the regular admissions period and they'll rereview your application after you've attached more information about your senior year in high school. If they reject you, you're no longer able to apply to that college for the rest of that school year.

Have you started looking at the applications for those schools yet?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Early decision is where you apply for the college a few months ahead of time. If they accept you, you are required to go to that college (it's a binding contract). If they postpone you, you can apply again during the regular admissions period and they'll rereview your application after you've attached more information about your senior year in high school. If they reject you, you're no longer able to apply to that college for the rest of that school year.

Have you started looking at the applications for those schools yet?

I know what most of the requirements are. I plan to go beyond, taking honors/AP and more rigorous courses.

Do you think that actually looks good on applications? What about community service?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't decided what I'm going to be doing for College yet. I'll probably be getting around to that sometime within the next few months.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I know what most of the requirements are. I plan to go beyond, taking honors/AP and more rigorous courses.

Do you think that actually looks good on applications? What about community service?

I took 5 AP classes as a junior in high school, and I'm going to take a bunch more AP tests as a senior. It does really help, as a lot of colleges check and see if the course selection was rigorous or not. They want to know if the person got straight A+s in easy or hard classes.

I've done about 60 hours of community service total so far. Different colleges give different importance to community service, but I'm pretty sure your admission or rejection decision would come down to the number of community service hours you've done so far.

Have you started doing community service yet?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Yes, I have a little over 30 hours so far.

What community service have you done so far?

It's probably better to do something that's related to the field that you're interested in majoring in, as it's seen as acquiring experience as well as helping others.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What community service have you done so far?

It's probably better to do something that's related to the field that you're interested in majoring in, as it's seen as acquiring experience as well as helping others.

All 30 hours was from my old school's fall festival. I guess that could be experience with interacting with others, which Psychology would demand?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
All 30 hours was from my old school's fall festival. I guess that could be experience with interacting with others, which Psychology would demand?

Hmm, I guess so. About 30 hours of my time was spent doing research for the Information Technology Department at a former school I went to, and the other 30 hours was spent volunteering as a guide during my school's registration. It was pretty easy, seeing as all I had to do was ask "Are you interested in purchasing school pictures?" and tell them how to fill out the form and where to go.

Just curious, what made you interested in psychology?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just curious, what made you interested in psychology?

I'm just fascinated by human behavior. It's so complex and ever changing. I also have always wanted to help people, maybe be a doctor or something.

I'm great at scientific things, so I decided that since I'm interested in the brain, behavior, and science that Psychology/Sociology would be great field to study or at least show interest in.

This semester, I'm enrolled in an introductory Psychology/Sociology course and I've been very interested in it, can't wait to go every day.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I'm just fascinated by human behavior. It's so complex and ever changing. I also have always wanted to help people, maybe be a doctor or something.

I'm great at scientific things, so I decided that since I'm interested in the brain, behavior, and science that Psychology/Sociology would be great field to study or at least show interest in.

This semester, I'm enrolled in an introductory Psychology/Sociology course and I've been very interested in it, can't wait to go every day.

I used to want to be a doctor, but my realization of not enjoying helping other people made me give up on becoming a doctor. It also takes a lot of work.

I'm also enrolled in a sociology class this semester, and am taking anthropology next semester.

Are you going to take the AP Psychology exam?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I used to want to be a doctor, but my realization of not enjoying helping other people made me give up on becoming a doctor. It also takes a lot of work.

I'm also enrolled in a sociology class this semester, and am taking anthropology next semester.

Are you going to take the AP Psychology exam?

I think I'll give it a shot.

Are you?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I already took it and got a 5 on it. :)

Are you planning on taking any AP tests at the end of this school year?

Not really. I'm thinking about the Psychology one but it's doubtable, considering I'm not in an AP Psychology class.

Was the exam hard?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Not really. I'm thinking about the Psychology one but it's doubtable, considering I'm not in an AP Psychology class.

Was the exam hard?

Not really. Not from my perspective, at least.

Are there higher levels of psychology at your school?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not really. Not from my perspective, at least.

Are there higher levels of psychology at your school?

No but once I get my license, I can dual enroll at the community college and take a higher level there.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
No but once I get my license, I can dual enroll at the community college and take a higher level there.

Oh, I never took classes at the community college.

Can't you tell your school that instead of taking classes there, you'd prefer spending parts of the day at a community college? I think they're required to give you free bus transportation then, because by law, they can't restrict your learning.

Or at least that's what it's like in Illinois.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh, I never took classes at the community college.

Can't you tell your school that instead of taking classes there, you'd prefer spending parts of the day at a community college? I think they're required to give you free bus transportation then, because by law, they can't restrict your learning.

Or at least that's what it's like in Illinois.

It's definitely not like that here. If you take any classes outside of the high school you also have to pay for them. That's also very expensive.