Colour Recommendation Resources?

darkX3536

Reaction score
Hi, is there any resources (books, websites etc.) that can recommend me appropriate colours to use in my website? (Eg. blue for an "airy" feeling or depict the sky...)

Thanks!

mdailey

Reaction score
Check out ColorSchemeDesigner.com. That site helps you by constraining your color options to complimentary colors and other appealing color combinations.

darkX3536

Reaction score
Check out ColorSchemeDesigner.com. That site helps you by constraining your color options to complimentary colors and other appealing color combinations.

Tried that; did'nt give me what I wanted...

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's but one of the subjects covered in the book The Zen of CSS Design (Dave Shea and Molly Holzschlag). The book isn't a how-to (although it does have some implementation details in marginal boxes), it's more of a philosophical look at things like colour, genre, typography, accessibility and so forth. The example designs might seem just a little bit dated (they missed the whole large-print, big buttons and reflections and gradients everywhere craze), but the fundamentals still work. As long as you're not an absolute n00b looking for teh codez, it's well worth a read.

darkX3536

Reaction score
Thanks, I did read its sequel though (Fundamentals of CSS Design if I am not wrong)... I guess colour seems to be a personal thingy, subject to the target audience's preferences... XD

digitalimages

Reaction score
Colour is definitely a "personal" preference.....but if you go to most paint stores they have colours listed in categories like warm, cool, hot, etc. I think that the colour of a web site should have some relation to the content. If the site has a company/product logo then the colours of that logo should be used in either a similar or complimentary tone....I like blue and or green tones myself...but then again that's my personal taste :smile:

darkX3536

Reaction score
Colour is definitely a "personal" preference.....but if you go to most paint stores they have colours listed in categories like warm, cool, hot, etc. I think that the colour of a web site should have some relation to the content. If the site has a company/product logo then the colours of that logo should be used in either a similar or complimentary tone....I like blue and or green tones myself...but then again that's my personal taste :smile:

Well, the problem is knowing which colours are related to the content/feel of the website... :eek: