Continious Server Backup - Rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewebspace

Reaction score
Guys,

I was going to post my question on the following thread, but I then noticed the thread was closed.

http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/92039-how-create-server-backup-w-o-root-privilege.html

I'm looking for a continous backup to a second web server to help with load balancing. I was hoping I could use rsync. I'm not too experienced with rsync, but that's not to say I won't pick up on it quick.

I need to know if x10hosting will help with setting up rsync (in regards to priveleges) or am I stuck with cpanel backup solutions? I'm afraid of using cpanel backup because the "directory path" on both servers are completely different, so I think cpanel's remote backup is not going to work out. Any objections?

Any help with rsync or other suggestions on a continous backup plan will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Gabriel

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you mean by "continuous server backup"?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "continuous server backup"?

I follow enough to understand that it's probably going to trip the High Resource Usage part of the x10TOS, which would defeat the purpose.

What he's looking for is a way for his x10 site to be constantly backed up by another server, so if x10 goes down temporarily the other server will come up and load instead, OR he's looking for the other server to clone x10 and he'll have some method of sending visitors to one server or the other to balance load.

That I can see causing massive resource usage and suspension for it, or otherwise sucking up tons of bandwidth and causing a Bandwidth Exceeded message, which also defeats the purpose. Not sure of a way to do this at all actually :(

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Confirming what livewire said is correct, this is probably more suited to a paid host. As continuously running something to backup to another server would trip the high resource usage.

Although, depending on how long the script executes for it may be possible to execute the script every X number of hours for X seconds to backup to another server to prevent being suspended, but i'd have no idea how to do this.

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Hi Gabriel,

Now that you have been given answers to your initial question and you have not posted a response back in over 48 hours, I am going to close this thread to mark it as resolved. Feel free to create a new support request if you need more help or have any additional questions.

- Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.