Copywrite Questions

thezone1

Reaction score
Hi i have just started the process of launching a new site in beta stage,
and have a few questions.

1) How does the coprywrite for the site work, can i have it under the domain name?

2) Do i have to register the site as a company if im making a profit?

3 ) What type of disclaminer do i need to cover me ?

4 ) What do you think of the site ? www.scousenetwork.com

thanks to all

tektrnica

Reaction score
the biggest question you should ask is "do i need to register for VAT... and the answer to that is, NO, not untill your profit margins exceed around £60,000p/a UPTO 60k is voluntary (it depends if it would make financial sense). as far as dsclaimer, it depends, what your doing? lol and the site looks nice.. but your profile box looks messy. On a copyright notice, thats a far few mp3's you have on that site :\ esp as you have them to download... :\

for some reason you have a web browser in your site.... :\ it seems like a small OS, but built on a website... its a nice looking site, very clean and tidy (besides the profile page) but i dont see what your would need copyright for, i mean, if youve made the code and apps yourself, you will already have the source files used, just burn em to disc, and mail it your self, but dont open it, its a cheap way of proving ownership.

thezone1

Reaction score
Im not wanting to copywrite some of the bigger scripts ( those i got from open sources ) just the likes of the member profiles, mp3 app, browser and the way in wich the site is designed ( like an os )
The mp3s will be uploaded by a user and they will only have access to what they have personaly uploaded, i have only added some tracks as an example

But thanks for the comments

Scott B

Reaction score
I don't think anything needs to be registered.
Btw, your site looks kinda empty

tektrnica

Reaction score
Im not wanting to copywrite some of the bigger scripts ( those i got from open sources ) just the likes of the member profiles, mp3 app, browser and the way in wich the site is designed ( like an os )
The mp3s will be uploaded by a user and they will only have access to what they have personaly uploaded, i have only added some tracks as an example

But thanks for the comments

then burn em to disc and post them to yourself but dont open it. the postage mark the post office will put on will confirm the days you did it. its easy and simple way to prove ownership.

Well good luck with what you intend to do on there. :D

thezone1

Reaction score
Lol thats because its in beta stage, but im developing a tutorial telling users how to use the instant messanger,chat rooms ( currently working ) and im working on the proxy browser, mp3 player, profile pages, image areas, so on

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
It depends on the laws of your country. In the USA, the material is copyrighted to its creator without the need for registration. If you create a website, you don't even have to put a notice at the bottom saying "Copyright (c) 2008 X" and it is still protected by copyright law.

thezone1

Reaction score
Yea trust UK to screw everyone over as usual lol, but i think it should the same as US i'll have a look on google

javajenius

Reaction score
Wow, your website is amazing. Good job.

EDIT: Don't want to be a bother, but careful with the mp3's. I don't think your allowed to do that, by the way the upload doesn't work.

Code:
Warning: move_uploaded_file(../usr//mp3/Elliott Yamin - Wait For You.mp3) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/accounts/upload.php on line 22

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpYzzI9e' to '../usr//mp3/Elliott Yamin - Wait For You.mp3' in /var/www/html/accounts/upload.php on line 22

Last edited:

port5900

Reaction score
i was registering then said to my self *beep* this. You lost alot of people just cause of the sign in.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Unfortunately, port5900 is correct. You could do with having a GUEST button that maybe only allows read-only access?

thezone1

Reaction score
Im gonna work on it i was thinking of that anyway to give new users a sort of try before you sign up lol :p

EDIT: ok for now you can use,
username : guest
password : mario12

this account will allow up to five users at a time

Last edited:

rlodge

Reaction score
One thing I noticed about your sign in and registration pages was there was no way to see the terms and conditions but on your sign in page it says "By logging in you agree to the Terms and conditions".

What are the terms and conditions? I'm a suspicious person and one of your terms and conditions may be that I have to give you my house when I sign in.

If there's a link there for your terms and conditions and I missed it, I'm sorry. I followed the link from your original post so these terms may be somewhere else. Otherwise, with a statement like that you may want to have the terms available to look at before logging in or registering.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You need to remove the browser since it work as a proxy. I'm from sweden but when I go to ip-adress.com I am somewhere in the US with a IP starting with 66

bigjoe4

Reaction score
cool a proxy that's not blocked at school!!
Edit:
+ that is the coolest site I ever seen! where is it hosted btw?

Last edited:

thezone1

Reaction score
PC riot doent not work even at home where its not blocked and there seems to be adds that just keep coming up instead of the site i type....

My site however has a fully functioning proxy and im currently working on a homepage, history, bookmarks , so on i eventually aim to create a lite web os
Edit:
also with regards to the privacy policy, the site is still in development, and has only been launched for testing purpose's the policys and disclaimers are currently been wrote up. The site will stop acepting new users in about one month ( this is get a small user base for testing purpose's ). But the full site is to be launched late 2008 / early 2009.

Last edited: