*cough* kaspersky sucks.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Kaspersky sucks thats all I have to say I bought it today installed it on my computer nothing would work I couldn't get on firefox and they scanned every AIM message I sent after 5 minutes I had to restart my computer. I don't know what went wrong but it isn't good.

Shenlone

Reaction score
I had tried kaspersky for a while, It isn't very new user friendly IMO; However i found the program fairly spartan like in terms of using resources, There's even a gaming mode you can turn on with it to make it open ports and stop the scan of certain things to boost performance. (Before playing games over the net, one should remember to look up ports etc.. to make exceptions with it, I had gotten into a pretty nasty freeze with WCIII while trying to access battle.net using it)

I also believe that Kaspersky can work side by side under a certain installation mode with some other security software (I don't quite remember the name of it right now) for extra security without causing a clash.

A review i read online that was done some years ago by some fairly well credited group on anti-viruses rated Kaspersky fairly high in the reviews, although it fails in catching all 'polymorphic' viruses, or so i believe it stated. Only a total of 3 of the anti-viruses tested there passed that test, Norton being one of them (However, it doesn't catch all normal types of viruses.... something like 94%)

- Shenlone

chunsiang

Reaction score
well, you should try disabling every single feature except for file antivirus and web antivirus. those two will do u enuf protection for the rest of your life :p

KowKing

Reaction score
It sounds like your security software had a conflict of interests. Disable all the other protection you have (if you're using Kasperky security suite) and try again.

On the other hand, I use Nod32 and it's great.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Derek, why don't you give NOD32 a try......I haven't had a single problem with it, low on resources and does its job, for a firewall try comodo, free and effective....I had a lot of experience using Norton, Mcafee, kaspersky etc but I settled with NOD32 and from then on..I've faced no problems..:)

rockthecasbah

Reaction score
I went from NOD32 to Kaspersky. On my laptop, I notice it has caused some lagging and high CPU usage (especially when watching Youtube videos). Does anyone else have that problem on a not-so-powerful computer?

I don't know if it has to do with the AV change or not. I also upgraded my Zone Alarm at that time *shrug*

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Zone alarm is the best so far I am buying bit defender tonight.

Dazz

Reaction score
Kaspersky is rubbish I tried it once, had it on my system for less than 24 hours and got the mother of all viruses:rant2:. Had to download Avast home (free edition) and run a boot scan to get rid of it:biggrin:.

NEVER EVER GET KASPERSKY it truly sucks and is the most pants AV ever!!!!!

:thefinger to Kaspersky, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Avast - go and get it now............. Best ever AV ever.

Cowen

Reaction score
I agree with GamingX. You should try out Nod32 its amazing. It is by far the best anti-virus program I have ever used and I have tried them all out at least once.

David_Tiger

Reaction score
I use AVG Internet Security 7.5 along with AdAware 2007 Pro which gives me plenty of security when using the internet, also avg doesnt have those annoying pop-ups that minmize your games when your having fun lol,

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Avast and AVG I had for a while they weren't good I'll just stick with zonelalarm till I get the money to buy some other.

KowKing

Reaction score
Avast and AVG I had for a while they weren't good I'll just stick with zonelalarm till I get the money to buy some other.

http://digg.com/software/Zonealarm:_A_Perfect_Spyware_

It seems that ZoneAlarm Security Suite has been phoning home, even when told not to. InfoWorld Editor James Borck discovered ZA 6.0 was surreptitiously sending encrypted data back to four different servers, despite disabling all of the suite’s communications options.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/01/13/73792_03OPcringley_1.html

Swiblet

Reaction score
You guys still buy antivirus? o_O Yeeesh. Anywho, my favorite antivirus is Avast! Corporate edition. It catches EVERYTHING, informs you on EVERYTHING, has a little "a" at the bottom (#1 in the alphabet =)), scans in Windows AND in boot mode, and looks cool while doing it all! It even has SKINS! SKINS, MAN!!! YARGH!!!

Ummm....yeah. Avast is good. I go to every dangerous site under the rainbow and have been targeted by hackers that hate me countless times. Never had a problem =) Seriously. GET IT.

Annnnnnd....Yesh. Kaspersky sucks. It is HORRIBLE with the user interface and it takes up way too much of the computer's CPU. On top of that, it does not recognize too many viruses. Not compared to Avast anyway. Kaspersky is the best, but ONLY IN ARCHIVE SCANNING. Overall, with everything else, it is horrible. You should have tried free trials before buying anything o.o *nods*

About Zonealarm - I had that. It was a good firewall. But I don't even need a firewall since using Avast. Avast has a scanner that works as one. Zonealarm also did not listen to me when I told it to ignore a problem. Every single time I turned on my computer, it would ask me if I want to allow my printer to have access to my printer drivers. YES I want my printer to access its software, duh. Zonealarm was good in protection, but it was not a "smart" program.

Alls up for Avast 7 Professional!!! (dunno about Home Edition =/ Never cared to try that)

~~Ben

Last edited:

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Also, Derek...I was reading up on Norton 360 and by the look of it, it looks great though I was having issues with the previous versions of Norton, but this one looks to me as if it can do the job, and also you can backup data....And also it seems to no longer be a resource hog from what I read in the reviews, I am not telling you to buy it, but you can always download the trial version and try it and if you don't like it, leave it....

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Buying paid software in general is rubbish; I've never gotten a virus or spyware, and I've already gotten rid of the false sense of security Windows Defender gave me (my computer boots 2 seconds faster now), and I'm pretty close to getting rid of AVG.

Don't see how so many people still keep getting viruses/spyware.. a larger concern IMO would be phishing attempts to gullible users

Even if I did have something devastate my computer, I wouldn't mind doing a clean install, as all the stuff I have on here I can just redownload

Last edited:

Swiblet

Reaction score
Avast!!! You don't even need to PAY for it!!! =D

And yes, BitDefender is poo. Don't use that.

~~Ben

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I have avast pro edition and the AVG paid one I liked the avast but it kept blocking my games.

Swiblet

Reaction score
Avast blocked your...games? o_O I never had problems like that and I play tons of games. Perhaps you need to change your settings for the resident scanner.

~~Ben

Marpole

Reaction score
kaspersy's good becasue of the vast amount of settings u can change

it takes a while to change the settings to adapt to you though