CPU Fan?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I just recently had a problem with my CPU fan. I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7442. It's treated me nicely. However whenever I'd been putting it on "High Performance" or "Normal" (battery options in Vista), from "Power Saver" it would crash hours later. Yesterday, the "crap hit the fan" as they say. It just randomly started crashing and SpeedFan reported temperatures of OVER 200 deg Fahrenheit. I tried to access the fan to clean/look at it, however it's literally burried in the case. I'd have to take off the entire case to look at it, which I'm not comfortable with. I tried canned air, but to no avail. Today, I tried again (after a chat with a PC guy from down the street), and only got so far as taking the keyboard off before I didn't feel comfortable. I put everything back on (not before snapping the aux wifi PCI-E connector... (I taped in back on. ;))).

I sprayed some more canned air, and the fan started back up!

I finally got it running (just gave me a black screen MULTIPLE times. And wifi works, THANK GOD!

The fan is also working (I can hear it), and SpeedFan is reporting temps averaging 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

My question: Should I have a professional look at it/diagnose it? I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 7 (clean install), and I don't want to have to deal with this crap once I upgrade.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're not comfortable with taking apart the laptop, yes have someone take a look at it. 200F is way too hot. All it probably needs is better Thermal paste, a re-mount of the heat sink and a fan checkup.

Also, the AUX Wireless Connector plug is made to "Snap" off. You can snap it back on unless you broke it the way I think you broke it.

Last edited:

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
Also make sure the air intake spots on the laptop aren't blocked or clogged with dust bunnies. Your laptop, when on flat surface like a table, should be sitting above the surface to the point where you can completely see under it if you look eye level.

If something is blocked the air intake spots, it doesn't matter how many heatstinks you have or how fast your fan spins it will overheat.

Also check to make sure the fan exhaust port isn't clogged either. What is your CPU's max temperature rated at by the way? My laptop (also a Vista purchased one, but now uses Windows 7) idles at ~115F and under load sits at around 160-180F.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Dell do comprehensive service manuals that describe in detail how to disassemble and reassemble their kit in detail - might be worth checking if Toshiba do the same. If not it's not hard to take at least the bottom off the laptop.

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
Dell do comprehensive service manuals that describe in detail how to disassemble and reassemble their kit in detail - might be worth checking if Toshiba do the same. If not it's not hard to take at least the bottom off the laptop.

Just remember to keep a memory of where all the screws go and where everything else goes as you take it apart. lol

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
And if your memory sucks, get yourself a second pc and a video camera. Record yourself taking it apart, then have the PC play it back in 1x rewind :)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
And if your memory sucks, get yourself a second pc and a video camera. Record yourself taking it apart, then have the PC play it back in 1x rewind :)

And also get a sheet of a3 paper (a3 = 2x a4, a4 ~ 'letter'), and as you take a group of screws out, draw an outline around them on the page and write where they came from. And tape them down on the page too if it'd help....

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello brothers and their sisters!

If you are really uncomfortable, then ask someone who is not-so-uncomfortable with it, before going to a service center.

I took down a friend’s MacBook for him, as he wanted to note down the serial/part numbers of the devices inside it.
He didn’t trust the service center.

So, I began.
I knew first hand that I would need my toolbox.
Though wasn’t sure which tool exactly.
All I need in the end were Torx and Philips screw driver.
I don’t recall the exact number now.

He too was having heating issues, but due to completely different reason –thermal sensors were kaput.

Open the case, usually keyboard comes off easily.

Then, take pics of the case from every angle possible and write down the exact type of screw on page, better if you can draw like a map.

When you are done with this logistic/surveying part, use the tools to unscrew and write down each step as you proceed.

Sometimes you may find it difficult to physically removing connecting wires.
You can borrow your girlfriend’s tweezers. (I hope for this only!).

Now, you can take every part down.
When done cleaning, simply follow the steps in reverse order.

Finally, about thermal paste, don’t pour it over like you may do with peanut butter. Haha
Apply a gentle layer.
Take the paste with a matchstick and then drag it over like you do with (butter) knife.

Also, keep some duct tape ready with you.

Merci !

frankfriend

Reaction score
If you have a digital camera, take a few` shots of the laptop as you open it so you can easily see where all the bits were when you started. Easier to reassemble later