Cracking Down on Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
I my opnion this is a good measure taken by ADMINS , because lot of users and hackers aim this type of freehosting to send spam mails...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This hasn't been answered. If my email is hosted on GMAIL APPS or Hotmail I assume this won't apply. Basically if its sent through the server? What if I set my site to send from the google smtp instead of x10's?

If you use another SMTP server it will not count. In order for it to count it has to go through our mail server. This includes SMTP connections locally or PHP mail.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
No, what you did was good. The mail servers are starting to be blocked everywhere and for good reasons. What I dislike it the automatic suspension policy... There are better ways to approach a problem that are less interrupting and spontaneous. It does benefit 99% of users, but I don't see why it has to affect that 1% in such an spontaneous way. There are my thoughts.

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Does this apply to paid accounts? We have a Forum and intermittently send mass emails [so far under 100, but who knows how it will grow?]

Best regards

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
This will only affect the free hosting accounts.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
No, what you did was good. The mail servers are starting to be blocked everywhere and for good reasons. What I dislike it the automatic suspension policy... There are better ways to approach a problem that are less interrupting and spontaneous. It does benefit 99% of users, but I don't see why it has to affect that 1% in such an spontaneous way. There are my thoughts.

I'm not really sure what you want us to do... thousands of messages can be sent out within an hour. Any delay in stopping someone risks those messages getting out and causing a blacklisting. There is no time to send someone a friendly warning asking them to stop. There is also no easy way to stop a single person from sending out mail, so a suspension is the only choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.