December Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have some important updates for December I'd like to mention.

First, if you don't know, we have a huge giveaway going on through out this month. To get more info check out our facebook page at http://facebook.com/x10hosting

Second, our goal this month is to eliminate abuse from our servers, at least as much as we can. The ONLY reason your sites ever go down is due to other users abusing the servers. We have been actively testing and implementing new things to stop the abuse from happening before it becomes a problem causing downtime. We have made huge progress in this area so far and will continue to do so through out the month.

The top 20 countries that are responsible for 99% of the abuse on our servers have been blocked from signing up. We are also in the process of implementing a proxy detection system to make sure these users can not get around the ban. While I'm sure we will inadvertently block some legitimate users, we're unable to support countries that do not police their citizen's illegal activities any longer. In the future we may implement an application system for these users, unfortunately for now they will need to find another free hosting service.

I'd also like to remind anyone reading this of a few things. x10Hosting is for creating and hosting a website. We are not here to host your personal computer backups, movies, game server files, etc... we also ONLY support English, Spanish, and French websites. This is all outlined in the terms of service everyone has agreed to when signing up. If you are breaking these rules do not be surprised when you get suspended. You can review the terms here: http://x10hosting.com/terms

Within the next week we will be upgrading the web and MySQL servers for more redundancy and to speed them up. A separate post will be made when it's time to upgrade as we'll most likely need to take some services offline temporarily to switch to the new servers.

I'll leave this thread open for any questions.

We do NOT provide support in news threads

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Forgot to add... at the end of December we will be increasing the allowed resource usage for free hosting accounts (CPU\Memory). Once we're able to eliminate most of the abuse that will give us more resources to give to our legitimate users.

TonnyORG

I Code Things
Community Support
Reaction score
Thanks for the info & the present in facebook Corey!

[thread=143848]Translated to Spanish![/thread]

salu2

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the current country block list:
'CS', 'BR', 'VN', 'AF', 'NG', 'KR', 'CN', 'IR', 'TW', 'AR', 'HK', 'IL', 'EG', 'LV', 'TR', 'KW', 'MY', 'ID', 'RO', 'PK', 'DZ', 'DO', 'UA', 'RU'

This will change over the next few weeks as we implement more measures to block abuse on the servers. The countries with the lower abuse amounts will be removed from this list. At the moment I'm not going to waste any more time dealing with the abuse issues caused by these countries when that time should be used to make the service better.

Last edited by a moderator:

L.Chalice

Reaction score
Noted.

I wonder if the current (legitimate) users from the mentioned countries will have a chance to backup their data before they're blocked?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We are only blocking signups from those countries. If they already have an account it can be used.

Last edited:

blaxpirit16

Reaction score
Looks like my country got banned. My friend tried to sign up because I recommended your hosting, but he got the message: "Due to continued abuse from your country of origin we have currently disabled signups."

That's sad :(

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
i have a question will current users from the banned countries be deleted

Nope, as Corey stated a few posts above, if you already have an account, it will continue working normally. Only signups from these countries are blocked.

inadim8956

Reaction score
Can you state the countries by name not by abbreviation?

Also, will you be unblocked on both Facebook and Hotmail after talking these anti-spam/anti-abuse measures?

When will you have support in other languages rather than English? I can help in Arabic support, as Arabic is my mother language.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
At the moment my friend's account on Chopin is sending a test email (via cron) to my Hotmail account and it is arriving. Can't remember if it started out in the spam folder and I marked it as 'not spam' , but it is not bouncing back like before.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Serbia_and_Montenegro, Brazil, 'Viet Nam', 'Afghanistan', 'Nigeria', 'Korea(North)', 'China', 'Iran', 'Taiwan', 'Argentina', 'Hong Kong', 'Israel', 'Egypt', 'Latvia', 'Turkey', 'EU??', 'Kuwait', 'Malaysia', 'Indonesia', 'Romania', 'Pakistan', 'Algeria', 'Dominican Republic', 'Ukraine', 'Russian Federation'

Not sure what EU is supposed to be(i would question his motives if he really blocked all of Europe)

inadim8956

Reaction score
Now since my country is blocked, if somebody registers an account then gives me the login details, CPanel details and FTP account, will I be able to use then (just a question)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
technically you would be, however the one account itself would be in violation of TOS, as only the one that actually did the registering (Primary owner) would be allowed to use it, and he/she can not share the login information nor give away hosting to a third party (you).

Personal accounts are to be used by the primary owner only. Personal account holders are not permitted to resell, store or give away web-hosting services of their website to other parties. Web hosting services are defined as allowing a separate, third party to host content on the owner's web site.

Last edited:

conzone

Reaction score
Out of interest does anyone know which GeoIP database is being used ?

Think EU is meant to be EY

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You're correct, EU is a typo and does not actually match any country. It has been fixed in the list and I verified the rest of the codes to match up with the correct countries.

We have a subscription with MaxMind for the geoIP information. We've just implemented our latest revision of our new signup process to include scanning for proxies and screening of IPs.

I have also implemented a 1 sign-up per 24 hour policy as we found people that were causing abuse were signing up for almost 10 accounts on some occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:

s0ul.34t3r13

Reaction score
:eek: wow, my country 'ID' has been blocked :(,

but i like if registered user from blocked country not deleted

i love x10 forever! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.