Delete emails to reduce inodes

gruposabemas

Reaction score
Hi eveyone,
does anybody know how can I delete emails on the server to reduce the number of inodes I use?
Thanks in advance.

ctyrd

Reaction score
your.domain/webmail
You could set gmail to check email and do not leave a copy on the server. I'm not sure on the inode saving.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If the user have a lot of emails on the server, it would impact Inode count: one email = one file on the server, and one file = one Inode.
I often put in emails as an example as it is something most are not aware being stored as files on the server.

The only safe way to delete is to use the webmail, or have a client setup with IMAP (deleting in client will delete on server), or using a client with POP3 and never save the emails on the server, and only have them locally on the client.

That being said, emails is only one thing that would contribute to Inodes, many small cache files (some cms do this) will add them faster, some cms use up a lot files even with just a fresh install and no content (Drupal for instance used up somewhere around 20 000 Inodes fresh basic install if I recall right from my last check), so not all things will be suitable to have on free hosting for more then testing purposes.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I did check the Inode usage for your account, moodle is using most of it:
35057 ./moodle
34637 ./moodle_old
So deleting email will not do it in your case, downloading the moodle_old and deleting from server will however do it. You would likely not be able to compress it first, as 1. you're currently over Inode count, and 2. There would be no diskspace available to create the compressed archive.

gruposabemas

Reaction score
Hi,
I was just updating Moodle, that is why 2 moodles appeared. I have already deleted moodle_old. Thanks for the information! :)