Deleted files on WWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizynix02

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I forgot that "www folder" has files on it like _private, _cgi and etc..

What could be the effect of it on my website?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
the "www" folder is the very same as the "public_html" folder. Do you still have a website, if you deleted it? (I assume you mean the one in the main folder, with public_ftp, public_html, etc)

Rithy58

Reaction score
www and public_html are the same folder.

And...CGI and those stuff are Scripts.

If you don't know PHP or any other script and is not using it, it wont effect you.
If you are building a static website(.html) and you deleted the index.html or any .html, you lost that page and you cannot see that page on your website.

Sincerely,
Rithy

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I forgot that "www folder" has files on it like _private, _cgi and etc..

What could be the effect of it on my website?

Your WWW folder should be a mirror of public_html (it has all the same files). The one that you should be modifying when you update your website is public_html. The folders you have deleted are for cPanel's use (I think), so if you ever do anything with cPanel that requires those folders, I think they're automatically recreated. To sum it up, I don't think you have to worry too much about it. :)

jmcgowan

Reaction score
Not to go too far off topic, but what's the purpose of having both the www folder and the public_html folder, and does it matter which one I edit files in?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Not to go too far off topic, but what's the purpose of having both the www folder and the public_html folder, and does it matter which one I edit files in?

The last time I checked, WWW was a mirror of public_html, meaning that it's something like a shortcut. It was more-or-less made to be a friendly version of public_html (because we all know that the name "WWW" is more inviting? -.-). You want to edit the files in your public_html folder because the WWW folder is just pointing to the public_html folder.

jmcgowan

Reaction score
ok, that sounds about what I was assuming, but I figured now is as good a time as any to have that confirmed or denied. Thanks!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I merged the two duplicated threads into one

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The www folder is to make it easy for people who are just getting started with web hosting to know where to place their files. All the www folder is, is simply an FTP shortcut that takes you to the public_html folder. It's perfectly fine if you were to delete the www folder, but the public_html folder, that'd be bad.

whizynix02

Reaction score
thank you very much for the advice.. now i'm enlighten..

sorry if i place the topic on the wrong place..

Status
Not open for further replies.