Designs that appeal to you

Most appealing design

• Total voters

dyreplus

Reaction score
So I was wondering what kinds of designs people like. Vote in the poll and post an explanation. Examples/descriptions below.

Scrapbook
- lots of stuff around the content area, big header.

Big header- it's a ... big header! sometimes expands around and down the content area a bit.

Minimal- mostly text, lines/boxes. maybe one image as part of the design.

Huge background- has a huge background with the content laid out simply on top of it.

Shiney web2.0- like minimal, but with shiney flares and colours.

NOTE: The sites above are NOT mine. They are various sites listed amongst others on some blogs listing them as "the best".

Last edited:

olliepop

Reaction score
I like them all so much except Minimal.
Overall i liked Shiney the most.

Nice selection :p

dyreplus

Reaction score
Thanks XD

Well there's one person's input.... need more! D:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I like shiny, I just don't like to code it - shiny generally has a lot of extra doo-dads on it that make things a bit nastier to code :)

For coding, all div's and text. Easiest to code although it shows that too - there's virtually no effort in an all-text page.

dyreplus

Reaction score
Shiny isn't TOO bad to code, except maybe the AJAX stuff.. but if you wanna have a chance of being in one of those top 100 best designs list, you need ajax or flash, it seems.

Once you have all the images, shiny is fairly painless to code, though. It's just figuring out how to split up those images and make that template. XD

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I more meant the tedious coding of making all the buttons and such do what they're supposed to; I'm starting to get enough of a hang on AJAX to make it work for some stuff, but I HATE having to make sure if I put 20 options in place for something, I have to make sure all 20 actually work :happysad:

jensen

Reaction score
Shiney is visually appealing as the various sections are laid out nicely.
Huge background does not encourage reading as the background distracts the content - great for photo sites.

dyreplus

Reaction score
I HATE having to make sure if I put 20 options in place for something, I have to make sure all 20 actually work :happysad:
Ah yeah... THAT aspect IS tedious. :( I also find that my CSS ends up like this epic novel about something really boring.... >>;
Edit:
Can I get some more input? :D

Last edited:

vol7ron

Reaction score
minimal is my opinion and then big header.

When I look at the other site it just seems bloated with useless stuff. When a site has text, it kinda demands that people stop, stay there, and read it.

dyreplus

Reaction score
vol7ron:
do you tend to ignore the header when it's huge and just scroll down to the content?

(the usual type of "big header" site has a header that takes up most of the content area so all that most people can see is the headline for the page/post and the header may be rectangular or more like the site I linked)

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd have to say that I love the apple website design.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
for me it was between large background or big header
but the big header one looked so much cooler so I picked it

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to disappoint you here. I can really choose one. I like everything that has quality and looks good. It can be any of those you put in your poll. Quality comes in many different styles and I can say what's my favorite.

If I really have to choose I'll say I'm a big fan of simplicity but I couldn't vote for "Minimal" cos that's just too extrema.

Edit:
I see there's "other" now. So I'll vote for that.

Last edited:

shaunak

Reaction score
I like minimalistic and light colored sites that are easy to read and navigate.

levelband

Reaction score
Web 2.0 is my thing, I like the way smooth gradients and complimenting color pallets come together to make some thing look professional, this companies site is a really good example of this: http://www.curve2.com/. All the site I make try to have those qualities, but layout can be really complex, especially with cross browser capability. All the column and sections can be hard to keep inside their divs, and all the border styling can get uber confusing. I like to code plain text pages, but prefer the look of web 2.0 pages.
-LevelBand

P.S this is a really good website for web 2.0: here.

Last edited: