dial up

delon

Banned
Reaction score
i have dial up connection whose connectivity speed is 153 kbps and its browsing speed is 20 kbps, what exactly does this mean, is it fast or slow. and is it cheap, it costs me 60 paisa per minute ( approximately 0.013122 US dollars )

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I'll assume you're saying 20 kilobits per second as opposed to kilobytes, and yes that is quite slow. But you do get what you pay for

Last edited:

tittat

Reaction score
Your plan is not cheap,its expensive.
60 paise per minute means Rs 36/- per hour,OMG its really expensive.
I would suggest you to buy a HOME PLAN from BSNL.It will cost only Rs 250 per month, with a free usage of 1Gb.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's fast if you look at my school broadband connection. I got 10 kbps down today lol.

But it's slow in general I think :(

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
And I thought that unlimited AOL for $20 was expensive... your plan is expensive as heck. Isn't there high speed internet such as Cable, DSL, or a WISP (Wireless ISP) around for you? I've had DSL for 4 years now, upgrading my speed twice and man is it a lot better than dial-up.

Otherwise, dial-up unless you have dual lines or ISDN or something, at a full 48000bps connection rate with compression, you'll see roughly 36kbps or 5KB/s download, and 67kbps (~7Kbps) upload including all overhead associated in dial-up connections for both download and upload. Is the speed test site you're using correct or is it just giving false data? What's the connection speed that your operating system is saying the modem is connected at while it is connected?

Also, don't confuse KiloBYTES with KiloBITS. There are 8 bits in a byte, so 8 bits per second (bps) comes out to be 1 byte per second (1 Bps), and 8 kilobits per second (kbps) comes out to be 1 Kilobyte per second (Kbps).

Also as a note, if you are not getting the full 48000bps speed, this can be because of a few reasons. First of all, make sure you dial into a number as close as you can get to you, make sure both your ISP's server and your modem can handle 48000bps speeds (V.92 modems these days are cheap and can certainly handle the speed) and make sure that your telephone line is in good shape. Old, degraded, noisy/lossy or long copper loops from your telephone company or in your home can cause dial-up to not connect as fast. The same applies for DSL. The farther you are, the longer your line is, the older it is in many cases, wire gauge, etc will affect a DSL connection's reliability and speed. The distance factor and noise factor applies for wireless connections, and for Cable, basically the same thing as DSL but in a different scale and perspective. Basically, anything that can affect DSL will affect dial-up, and vice versa.

EDIT: Also, considering I think your actual connection speed is 28000bps, I'd ask in the computer forum for some help with the connection as something's probably going on with it.

Also as another note lol. When doing a file transfer, transfers are measured in Kilobytes/Megabytes/Bytes/gigabytes/etc and connection speeds are measured in Bits/Kilobits/Gigabits/Terabits/etc.

Last edited:

intertec

Reaction score
Same with me. I download full movie in less then 10 minutes. I have 45gb per month for only $60. Must be very expensive there.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Same with me. I download full movie in less then 10 minutes. I have 45gb per month for only $60. Must be very expensive there.

I have unlimited Bandwidth and 24 mbps for $25 month here.

Hey, delon, don't you have broadband where you live??

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Right now I have 7.1Mbps/1.5Mbps via DSL where I am. I'm going to be getting 50Mbps/20Mbps soon when my ISP installs Fiber Optic cabling into my area. Of course, my ISP is probably one of very few ISPs now in the US who isn't talking about caps OR throttling people for that matter.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
You would wanna be in Sweden then, we got 100 mbps down and 100 mbps up. I am getting that in a half year

Isn't Sweden one of the largest exchange countries in the world? FYI, today Verizon and Siemens broke a record for 100 or so Gbps being transferred over field fiber at over 300 miles of cable.

Last edited:

divasmtec

Reaction score
OMG I hate dail up! I had to start off using it when I first moved into my apartment. I was glad to finally get DSL. My DSL connection is 6.0Mbps and I love it. Cable internet is faster than DSL though. But I can't get it right now. I'm ok with DSL. I don't download big files. I pretty much just surf the net, chat with friends and download music sometimes. DSL is perfect for me right now.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Isn't Sweden one of the largest exchange countries in the world? FYI, today Verizon and Siemens broke a record for 100 or so Gbps being transferred over field fiber at over 300 miles of cable.

they already did that in Sweden this summer what I know. And they did 300 or 600 gbps in australia with a new technology

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
they already did that in Sweden this summer what I know. And they did 300 or 600 gbps in australia with a new technology

Was that fiber a strand of fibers, or was it just one fiber over 300+ miles doing 100Gbps? Also was it field fiber?

delon

Banned
Reaction score
what is DSL and is it good and cheap, i bought a virgin mobile in india, and with that i got the internet service. but since its on the phone its a dial up one

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
what is DSL and is it good and cheap, i bought a virgin mobile in india, and with that i got the internet service. but since its on the phone its a dial up one

Phone service most of the time is EDGE, so you're not getting any more than probably an average of 128kbps. Otherwise, DSL is high speed internet through the phone line, and DSL is also an always on (in most cases, depending on your ISP) connection that does not tie up your phone line, regardless if you are on the internet or not. If you are within distance of a remote terminal or a central office (in wire length), which is usually within 3.5 miles of wire, and if the Central office or remote terminal can do DSL, you may be able to order it. Alternatively, if you have cable TV where you are, there is a chance that if you can't get DSL or don't want DSL, you can get Cable Internet. To see what is out where you are, call up your telephone company or your cable company to see if they have internet available in your location, whoever you want to go with. DSL and cable companies have some pretty cheap connections (often times cheaper than using dial-up), and of course, the higher speed you have, the more it's going to cost. Check with the provider you're going with to see what packages they have, what their speed is, and if the cost is good for you.

Last edited: