Disk Quota Reached - In Need of upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaven

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just realized that my site has been hitting the 512MB disk quota [Mainly due to my site being somewhat image heavy, being a game review site and all.] ( http://reviewhaven.x10.mx ) It's currently at about 460MB as I've deleted a ton of unused/unreferenced images, but that space is going to be used again real soon.

Can I get an upgrade to the unmetered* storage plan? I've had my account for a few years now, but haven't needed an upgrade until now. Wordpress is pretty bad about creating multiple images, which I've mitigated - but the theme I use still makes a few itself.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just realized that my site has been hitting the 512MB disk quota [Mainly due to my site being somewhat image heavy, being a game review site and all.] ( http://reviewhaven.x10.mx ) It's currently at about 460MB as I've deleted a ton of unused/unreferenced images, but that space is going to be used again real soon.

Can I get an upgrade to the unmetered* storage plan? I've had my account for a few years now, but haven't needed an upgrade until now. Wordpress is pretty bad about creating multiple images, which I've mitigated - but the theme I use still makes a few itself.

Thanks, guys!
I have upgraded your account to the unmetered plan.

rhaven

Reaction score
Download your images to your PC, download FileOptimizer, optimize images at level: 9: Best, re-upload images. This will free up some space. For example I was able to compress http://reviewhaven.x10.mx/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/dirtrally-feat.png from 394,145 bytes to 316,736 bytes losslessly for a savings of 77,409 bytes.

The size of the images isn't really the issue - it's that the theme automatically creates multiple cropped thumbnails for different uses ( IE: Instead of just resizing the featured image, the theme creates an entirely new image to use as a thumbnail at different sizes. I can upload one single image, and it creates 5 of varying sizes. I've mitigated it as best I can by eliminating Wordpress' own thumbnails, but can't really do much about the theme's without breaking something, lol. )

I have upgraded your account to the unmetered plan.

Thanks so much! :)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The size of the images isn't really the issue - it's that the theme automatically creates multiple cropped thumbnails for different uses ( IE: Instead of just resizing the featured image, the theme creates an entirely new image to use as a thumbnail at different sizes. I can upload one single image, and it creates 5 of varying sizes. I've mitigated it as best I can by eliminating Wordpress' own thumbnails, but can't really do much about the theme's without breaking something, lol. )

There's actually a wordpress plugin that can help optimize the images as they are present in the folder structure of wordpress.

Untested on free hosting though, and perhaps not as efficient as desktop options, but could help some to shrink filesizes in order to speed up load time, if needed.

When I tested on my wordpress site it didn't really make the images a whole lot smaller though, but I guess that depends on how good the original image uploaded was optimized.

lylex10h

Reaction score
There's EWWW Image Optimizer, this use to give me an error when I enabled it, I think it was something about PHP exec (because it uses binaries). I recently re-enabled it and am not getting that error. Generally at the begging of the month, I will just download wp-content/uploads/year/lastmonth, process it with FileOptimizer and then re-upload it.

btsimage

Reaction score
I am hitting the 512mb limit, how do you request an unmetered account?

Status
Not open for further replies.