Do I need the preexisting files on my site?

mindstorm8191

Reaction score
Hi. I'm rather new to x10Hosting.com, but have been building webpages for a while now. I can see that, when you sign up, your site is given a lot of files pre-written on your website, and a pleasant intro page is shown for your subdomain. My question is, do I need the files already posted there, or can I simply delete them all and start from scratch? I already have a large number of files ready to put on my site, and it seems that the files already there are mostly just getting in the way. Can I just delete them?

wjh2303

Reaction score
why would you want to? they take up a negligible amount of space. What you want is the public_html folder. Put your website into there (this is the folder in which index.ext should be located) and ignore (but dont delete) about any of the other files. Some of them might be non-essential. but some of them are definately needed

mindstorm8191

Reaction score
Perhaps they do take up a small amount of space, but they seem to crowd up the files list in the file manager, which then crowds up my head, if you know what I mean. I'd rather just get rid of them so I don't have to find my own files in the clutter.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Check what each file/folder is for. Leave the (e.g.) cPanel ones. If they're for FrontPage, they might be safe to remove. Just be sure to back up any files & folders before deletion Be warned that this is rather like cleaning out %SystemRoot% on MS OSes. If you shoot yourself in the foot, it's not my problem. Remember, even if you think you don't need something, it doesn't mean you don't need it.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
what files are you thinking of deleting? Some of the files are needed for your account to function properly.

everything that is in /public_html/ or /www/ can be deleted, but the rest should stay.

mindstorm8191

Reaction score
Okay - yeah I was talking about the files and folders in the /www/ folder, the part that is viewable from outside. I found quite a bit of Microsoft HTML editing stuff there which, to me, was just extra baggage. I prefer to code in straight PHP. :biggrin: