Do you use tables to control your web page content?

Do you use tables to control your web page content?

• Always

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Never

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I use tables on my site. One of these days I'll probably switch to iFrames if I see that they are suitable enough, but I have to find a new site design and of course theme my forum.

Use <div>s with the CSS overflow property set to auto, and a PHP include() to achieve the same effect. That way you can use a strict doctype instead of settling for transitional.

-Luke.

Dan

Reaction score
Please when posting in this thread from now on, make sure that you are not just repeating what someone else has said and make sure you are not just posting a one liner such as 'Yes, I do'. Posts should say why you like it and why you don't like the other or why you think this, and why you think that person is wrong etc. etc.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
i use tables like if i am going to display things in rows or things that NEED tables. Other than that, divs

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
rarely, but I do use tables sometimes. Thats for content only though. Layouts and templates that I code myself are completely css and xhtml (with bits of javascript here and there). and they validate

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
If I need to display information such as the result of a survey or something like that in raw data, I use tables. Also, when I started HTML and didn't know about CSS, I use tables. But a month after I learned CSS and now, I always use DIVs and CSS.

jetmav

Reaction score
Tables seem to have outdone itself and may no longer be appropriate for web pages. Somehow they're very simple to use when page download speed is not compromised.

Dan

Reaction score
I never use tables for my layouts, I'll use them for something that should be a table, like results or something. But for laying things out I use divs and then css to control the divs. I just find it much easier and more accurate to control than anything else I've ever tried!

mujtaba91

Reaction score
Well i used to use tables when i was not much expert in css...
Now i use only <div>s for layout
Although i use tables for tabular data on pages

eliasr

Reaction score
I'm use joomla and that is sooo "YES", hehehe.

For the content that i develop i try always use tables and looks good [great custom] in all the browsers.

Aurayu

Reaction score
At first i used tables. For now i have moved on though to Css and Divs. As an up-and-coming website designer i make sure i never use tables. They clutter up the code and makes it near unreadable for non-website designers. This helps when doing a commision for a client that has never touched html!

Something that i noticed recently. In firefox the way you change colours for a table is extremly diffferent to internet explorer for example!

You need to define extra lines of code so it is browser compatible! Without looking different.

chappill

Reaction score
Hmmm depends on the content, for the internet page on my current webpage I have tables to keep my tables that have the content in place, so there very useful there, but on other pages there completely useless and make it look naff (i.e. The logout page.)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I used to use tables, but then heard what they sound like in a speak browser *shivers*

I use <div>s now.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I've always used tables since I find it easier than using the
HTML:
<div></div>
tag.

VPmase

Reaction score
I usually use a lot of Divs with mad CSS scripting lol. Tables take longer to load so I try to avoid them.