Does anybody know a good tutorial for installing Ubuntu on a PC with Windows 7?

shant93

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 running on an HP Pavillion DV7 Laptop, 500GB hard drive. On this hard drive, I have 50GB non-allocated, waiting for Ubuntu. Does anybody know a good tutorial for my situation? Or, do you know how to go about this?

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just boot from the CD and install on the empty partition. Thats the way I did it and it works for me at least.

Make sure you don't install ubuntu along windows (oprion in installer), as I heard that will make you lose all windows data.

Last edited:

shant93

Reaction score
It appears that the guys at Staples never gave me my Windows 7 installation disk, just a recovery disk. That sucks.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I installed Ubuntu dual booting with Windows 7 and it worked great.
I didn't use a tutorial though, I created all the partitions manually.

shant93

Reaction score
would the recovery disk reinstall windows 7 if something wrong happened?

justin.scherer14

Reaction score
Yeah the recovery disk would help with that. Also, all you will need to do is put in the live CD. Then when it asks you for a partitioning scheme, you click the, fill empty space or something like that. It will then install Ubuntu on that 50GB space that is left open. Trust me on this, I have built around 15 computers for people and also fixing many and some had to do this with. There is a very very small chance that something will go wrong, if it does, look on the Ubuntu forums, they will help you with everything you need. Also, if you need any direct help just ask me, I am not saying I am a professional on all of this but I have been installing Linux, specifically Ubuntu, a lot. Good luck!

shant93

Reaction score
Alright, I got the live CD and ran the demo (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), it worked awesome. There is one prob though. There was only two options for the installation, which are: Erase all and install, and, configure partitions manually. I clicked on the second one but I was very confused and did not see my unallocated space. What am I supposed to do?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you, under Windows, go to control panel->administrative tools->computer management->storage->disk management, do you see any partition marked black and says "unallocated"? Like the 9MB unallocated part of my usb stick:
l1obM0.jpg

Or did you format the unallocated partition to something, like NTFS?

shant93

Reaction score
Yes I had a black section with 50.0GB

I then tried allocating a simple partition to it, 50GB, labelled "Ubuntu", and it recognizes it, but it says it is 178gb, I'm afraid to install in cas it overwrites some files

------------------------
Edit:

Also, When I try to install on the Ubuntu Partition, I get an Error message saying "Daemon inhibited"

-------------------------
The current state of my partitions, after having deleted the "Ubuntu" partition:

Attachments

• Capture..PNG
    Capture..PNG
    12 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

justin.scherer14

Reaction score
Well here is what you can do also. Some people may not like this but it is a great way if you are having problems with the installation process. Partition that last 50GB to NTFS. With this, put in the installation disc. A Wubi installer will come up. What you will be doing is actually installing Ubuntu under your Windows hard drive. You can then follow those instructions. If I remember right, you can maximize the partition to 50GB in which you can use the NTFS partition that you just created. Now when you reboot you will have the GRUB2 boot menu and your new Ubuntu system all up and running. I hope this helps and if it did do not be afraid to click the medal at the top left of my box lol ;).

Justin

slacker_

Reaction score
Also, When I try to install on the Ubuntu Partition, I get an Error message saying "Daemon inhibited"

You seem to be using microsofts Dynamic Disk feature, which is probably the reason the installation process fails. But i'm not sure on that, never tried to install linux on an LDM volume.

shant93

Reaction score
Yes, that may be the case. I think at one point I accidentally confirmed a dialog asking me if I wanted to make the disk dynamic. I'll post a new thread trying to figure out how to revert is to basic disk without wiping and doing a clean install, because I have no way of backing up my data.

slacker_

Reaction score
This may help you. You should backup at least your most important files before...

:smile:

shant93

Reaction score
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a 500GB external hard drive (maybe a bit more), and back up, then format? All these instructions are actually pretty confusing.

shant93

Reaction score
Yes, but that requires deleting and backup. I said I had no ways of backing up.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I think in order to fix this, you are going to have to back up your stuff.
You can get a 500 GB external for $60

shant93

Reaction score
I guess I'll wait'till I get something. I don't feel like using 20 DVD's.