Does grammar matter to you?

Does improper grammar bother you?

• YES! It annoys me greatly. KILL THEM ALL!

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • nah it dont really

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I don't know/ I don't care.

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
I've noticed in the recent times that the grammar skills of our nation is slipping. I can't stand the "lol", "wtf", "idk", etc... I know my grammar isn't the greatest, but I do try! I hate ill-grammared people. I don't know why, but I just don't like them. I don't like saying "Yo, what is up!?" or on the computer "yo wut up!?". I just feel exasperated about this subject. I mean I go to school and use words like "vulnerability(not really a big word), superfluous (I think that is on the Grinch who Stole Christmas", empirical/theoretical (kind of has to do with each other), angular momentum, probabilistic, etc " and they don't know what I mean. They stare at me and act like I'm speaking an ancient language from a primeval world! I've seen people write and not capitalize properly "i'm, i, i've, etc." I don't know I could just on and on! :rant2: It really agitates me!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me if someone uses improper grammar. Most of the time I won't even notice it. Otherwise, I am kind of a good grammar person, so eh... :p

TheMan177

Reaction score
I always try to use correct grammar myself, but it tends not to bother me if someone else doesn't. It starts to go overboard when it doesn't look like english anymore.

alex88

Reaction score
I am sick of people spelling words where it looks like they've gone out of their way to make it different. e.g. "im gona steel ur hatz n den im gonna taik ur monyz". To me that is worse than a few grammatical errors.

rlodge

Reaction score
I love the 15 line, 30 sentence, no punctuation, unintelligible spelling posts. It's just one 15 line sentence. I'm no grammar major / nazi but good Lord, please don't type in Martian.

otherside

Reaction score
I've noticed in the recent times that the grammar skills of our nation is slipping. I can't stand the "lol", "wtf", "idk", etc... I know my grammar isn't the greatest, but I do try! I hate ill-grammared people. I don't know why, but I just don't like them. I don't like saying "Yo, what is up!?" or on the computer "yo wut up!?". I just feel exasperated about this subject. I mean I go to school and use words like "vulnerability(not really a big word), superfluous (I think that is on the Grinch who Stole Christmas", empirical/theoretical (kind of has to do with each other), angular momentum, probabilistic, etc " and they don't know what I mean. They stare at me and act like I'm speaking an ancient language from a primeval world! I've seen people write and not capitalize properly "i'm, i, i've, etc." I don't know I could just on and on! :rant2: It really agitates me!

I completely agree with you. People are becoming less and less linguistic every day. I never liked it when people used shorthand online to such a degree it became laziness, but recently people I know have been taking it even further by literally saying "zomg", "wtf" and so on. It bothers me so much I've come close to going on ten minute rants every time I hear it! Forgive my splenetic tendencies, but come on people, language is beautiful thing, don't ruin it!
-Otherside

BentFX

Reaction score
I don't get annoyed by bad grammar, Yet I am amused by the misuse of 'a' and 'an' in the print press. Somewhere it appears journalism diverged from english. An is used before vowel sounds, not necessarily printed vowels. American journalist almost universally will print 'a honest mistake' when proper english says it is 'an honest mistake'. I personally don't believe it's an honest mistake, it's 'a silly mistake'.

I've noticed in the recent times that the grammar skills of our nation is slipping...
Did you mean to say '...grammar skills of our nation are slipping' :D

Last edited:

phantomrainbow

Reaction score
it doesn't really matter to me on the internet forums,unless it's in debates or something.
but when you're face to face talking to someone yes.

mattura

Reaction score
I'll tolerate it if I know that it was a simple mistake, and the person making the mistake knows really what the correct grammar is. Otherwise, it annoys me, but I rarely complain - there are better things to do with one's spare time.

As for shorthand - It's ok if the long-hand makes sense, but I dislike it if somebody just wanted to be cool by typing random crap. It's effectively the same as swearing just for effect, which is a sign of insecurity.

Only real losers use internet shorthand in speech!

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
Everyone makes a really good point and today, ironically, I am doing stupid review in English (capitalization and punctuation ). Eww, it sucks! Yes the 15 line sentences are the best *LOL!*. I always annoyed people in video games when I typed out complete, correct sentences. They said I type slower that way, but really I don't. Well I have to go so I can't complete my thought. I will later!

Mitch

Reaction score
Grammar doesnt really bother me, but i need to know what someone is means or someone else know what i mean

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It bothers me sometimes. but ok if user understands what the author want to say...

Last edited:

otherside

Reaction score
Its interesting that the current tally is a very close seven to six in favor of correct grammar, and the people with correct grammar are the only ones posting comments. I'm also surprised that their has been no votes for the "middle ground".

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Ah yes finally a topic I can relate to! I definitely hate improper grammar; however, I will make an exception for LOLcats

chisaku

Reaction score
Grammar, a very important thing for me. I like people who use proper punctuation etc. but I can't stand the "l33t" speakers. Well, I can't blame them, they've just created a language on their own. But, the thing that horrifies me the most... that people are trying to look smart with it. And sometimes it's even grown-up people! Typing like 12-year olds in forums!

I like sentences and full words, so please, refer from using the "plz" word.
Edit:
Ah yes finally a topic I can relate to! I definitely hate improper grammar; however, I will make an exception for LOLcats

Oh yes, LOLcats are an exception for me as well! (How didn't I come to think of it?) They're just so plain cute with their cute captions... My absolute favorites are LOLbunnies and LOLhamsters, because I have those pets myself... :tongue:

Last edited:

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
I hate "Colloquialisms", you know the "ya'll, gonna, ain't, ain't nothin', etc."! I can't stand listening to a "Redneck" and them say 'Howdy Ya'll"!
YES! It annoys me greatly. KILL THEM ALL! 9 56.25%
nah it dont really 6 37.50%
I don't know/ I don't care. 1 6.25%

We're winning! Stupid person standing in the "middle ground". They're taking a whole 6.25%!

I do cyber schooling in this little school thing and it's cool. I've completed 4 semesters of work in two weeks! It's really easy

Last edited:

Sohail

Reaction score
To me, grammar would matter a lot. Especially in a place like this. For the forums to be a professional area; you have have to make good use of grammar and not talk in the way some people do eg. "lol" and "k cya". But i think you get the point. I do occasionally use emotions like this ":)", ";)", ":p" because i think it's suitable enough. :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I am sick of people spelling words where it looks like they've gone out of their way to make it different. e.g. "im gona steel ur hatz n den im gonna taik ur monyz". To me that is worse than a few grammatical errors.

Isn't that 1337 "l33t" speech, rather than improper grammar, or are those the same things?

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
I do occasionally use emotions like this ":)", ";)", ":p" because i think it's suitable enough. :D

I honestly think it is okay to use "Smilies" because they can express your current mood, thought, etc. I think who ever created them originally was probably had a somewhat intelligent mind because they are a capital idea.:drool:

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
Grammer is very important.

With Proper Grammer:

Im playing Battlefield 2

Not:

Im playig baltlegfield 2

Improper grammer is very unprofessional and very childish :)