Does grammar matter to you?

Does improper grammar bother you?

• YES! It annoys me greatly. KILL THEM ALL!

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • nah it dont really

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I don't know/ I don't care.

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wolf693

Reaction score
Lyk, ya et dos!!! :biggrin:

In emails I always get things like "wtf?" or "lol" HELLO PEOPLE, you have a FULL QWERTY keyboard in front of you!!! :bash: Sorry if I'm acting a little over dramatic here, but it bothers me a lot. However, when I text message... let's just say it's a bit illegible. You can't read it at all.

But anyway, yes it does.

Jesse

Reaction score
Grammar matters when you really need so...
But if you are talking to just publick forums, etc. it depends on you whether to be professional by keeping your grammar good.

VeggieBoy

Reaction score
angular momentum

Was honestly a joke. Yes! People are agreeing with me! My plan is working:hsughr:!!! Okay not really. Anyways, I was just saying that improper grammar make "yoo look stoopid". I like the "professional" look on things. I like to speak or type "professionally", but that's just me.

pretty puppet

Reaction score
Yes - as a future English major, it really does bother me quite a bit. That's one of the reasons I love LOTRO so much as opposed to other MMOs - almost everyone types in complete sentences, even in the OOC channel.

It's not just because I'm some sort of language snob. I really don't mind when people make grammar errors every now and then, or even if they don't write in complete sentences or capitalize such-and-such - I don't always speak in complete sentences when I talk (and you probably don't either!) so why would I in a chat room? But I think that when people carelessly leave out elements of the language or substitute numbers, you lose a lot of what is being said. I think there would be a lot less "texting drama" at my school if people actually bothered to spell out what they were saying so that it couldn't be misconstrued - sometimes leaving out a word or two can completely change to tone of a message.

Basically, why hack a language to death without good reason? Phone texting is almost always a flat rate these days rather than per-character (at least in the US) and IMs and emails are free - so why not just put in that extra comma or conjunction just to be sure? I don't know, I'll never understand it.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Basically, why hack a language to death without good reason? Phone texting is almost always a flat rate these days rather than per-character (at least in the US) and IMs and emails are free - so why not just put in that extra comma or conjunction just to be sure? I don't know, I'll never understand it.
Those mobile phones without a keyboard where you have to push the numbers a certain amount of times are extremely annoying. I'd probably be typing in shorthand, too, if I had one of those. I don't have a cell phone, though. I've been thinking about getting one for emergency use and to keep in contact with some friends.

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
The only time i can say that it is appropriate to not use proper grammer is

in Text Messages becuase they only give you 150 characters and if you are

in a really big hurry. Personally it makes you look like you dont care.

satbir

Reaction score
I would like to read an article which is grammatically correct. Not because I purist or so but it give you better flow and proper understanding.

Though I too do not like very hard and fast rules like the or not the, shall or will kind of arguement.

interwebtubes

Reaction score
IMing or texting, it doesn't really bother me. But in a body of text, bad spelling and grammar is really annoying. (Almost as annoying to me? Informal language in a formal writing piece. Anyways is an acceptable colloquialism within dialogue, but it is not correct English and therefore has no place in formal writing. Grrr. [/gripe])

DarkenProject

Reaction score
I voted that it doesn't really matter to me. Now, it is a balancing game with me; speech should be coherent. But I don't mind spelling, punctuation, etc. mistakes. Just as long a person is able to communicate and get their idea from point A to point B successfully.

The only time I think stiff grammar matters is in formal writing, including (but not limited to) school work, job-related papers, and letters. But if its casual (like... oh I don't know... a forum on the internet), butcher english all you want ^.^

dwd2000

Reaction score
Chatting lingo is okay, but when the person on the other side doesn't spell normal words properly, it bugs me. I am using Firefox, and love the built in spell checker. I guess I'm just a little old fashioned...or just old. Actually, I'm an 18 year old stuck in a middle-aged body.

dirtracer36

Reaction score
I don't really care if others use bad grammar or not. If they want to come off looking like they don't have any IQ, that's up to them. I like to use good grammar, just so that others can read and understand what I am saying.

The internet has some of the world's best illiterats and grammar destroyers. Some people can't help their bad grammar though. Some people come from poor families, poor countries. Some have learning disabilities or simply no one to teach them proper grammar. Others, have no excuse. Or is it xqz.

All in all, to each their own.

sunils

Reaction score
Some times it matter. It changes the meaning of the whole thing. We will be intend of talking something, but due to grammatical error, it sounds different to other and there is a lot of confusion. But for knowledge exchange, i dont really care about it.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I think that grammar matters and that you can tell by the amount of mistakes someone makes, how intelligent a person is. I am fine with abbreviations like lol and idk, but "yo, wats up!" just annoys me. I always try to use the best grammar, thats why I always edit my posts so much to fix some typos.

Last edited:

sunils

Reaction score
I dont mind if there is grammatical mistakes.
If you are able to convey the thought its fine and good.
Man always learn from mistakes.

mattspec

Reaction score
if i can get through what you have read with little to no difficulty...well then im usually pretty happy but when you think that youre 7337 H4x0rZ well then you really should get hit by a bus :)

Kieran G

Reaction score
Heck, I hate bad grammar, I struggle to read it, I'm so fixed on getting correct grammar that I sometimes over-capitalise