Domain Name - How to change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xennon

Reaction score
I want to revamp my site into something completely different and the current domain name would not suit the new site - Can I flush out the current site and re-start with a clean slate and new domain name? I've looked through the various cPanel options/features but cannot see any that allow me to do this.

I'm hoping there is a simple way to do this. I don't want to use sub-domains because the existing site is no longer needed and would server no purpose existing merely as a host to sub domains.

Please let me know if it's possible.

Thanks.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You can not change the main domain yourself at this point. We have removed that option due to the large number of issues it caused, especially when people thought that setting the domain "mydomain.com" would mean that they would get it for free, or when they simply failed on configure it to work on registrars end leaving them with no working domain for reviews etc.

Upon further look, I see you have an x10hosting.com domain as your current main, this means you *should* have a ticket from staff already opened about changing the domain as we will cease to allow subdomains under our main domain in a near future (don't recall the exact date right now, but there should be a post about it).

Just reply that ticket with what you would want the new domain to be, and someone will take care of it for you. Do note though that changes of main domain would not be done if it was not using a domain that will be discontinued.

xennon

Reaction score
Hi Anna,

Thanks for the quick response. You mention that I *should* have a ticket from staff already opened about changing the domain, but apart from a ticket I submitted just prior to my post here, I have not received any notice regarding domain changes. Would you be so kind as to arrange for that notice to be re-sent so I might follow your instructions and change the name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I to understand that once the change goes through, there is no way to change it in future? As I'm *experimenting* with different ideas for sites etc, there is a distinct possibility that I may want/need to change it again in the future if my experiments fail - can you suggest an alternative approach that will be the least inconvenient to all involved?

Thank you.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you should have gotten such a message now :)

You are correct, you would not be able to change the domain afterwords.
You can however set another domain as a parked domain if you chose to change later on, a parked domain would essentially be an alias of your main domain, and no one but you and us would need to know that the main domain is in fact different from the domain you make "public".

xennon

Reaction score
Yes, thank you Anna, I have just received the ticket notice and have replied to it with my proposed change. My head still feels like it might explode with all these *domain* thingos and how they all relate, but hopefully it will fall into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.