Don't Know Where to Start for Aesthetic Part of Web Design...

darkX3536

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem in trying learn how to draw a good web layout, let alone doing that in the first place!

I'm ok with the technical/coding stuff, since there is much resources at my local library, but that was not the case for designing such a website layout.

My Art and Design is always at a low D during Secondary School, compounding the problem.

Please assist in giving me some direction! Thanks!

miguelkp

Reaction score
I always take this steps:

1st - Think what kind of web I want to make. For example, a game related (generic) webpage probably will have a futuristic layout. RPG related webpage, a fantastic/medieval one. An art related webpage, probably a glossy and stylish theme. And so.
2nd - Think what color scheme I'm going to use. Again, the game related webpage surely will have metallic buttons (grayscale) with some colors (like LED style background for the button text).
3rd - Think the disposition (banner on top + horizontal navitagion menu under it; or vertical navigation menu; etc)
4th - Start to make the template with HTML + CSS. The container divs, background and font color, links style and color, etc.
5th - Make the graphics. The banner, buttons, headers, footers, etc.

digitalfarm

Reaction score
A technique i try to use it sketch out the layout on paper so u have an initial idea.If u can then do it using imaging software or look for a template in psd or otherwise and see how it can reflect ur design.Then code it

darkX3536

Reaction score
@miguelkp: Part 5 is the tough one! Whatever I drew or designed always appeared differently from what I had desired...

@digitalfarm: I will give it a go...

Just wondering, are there any courses/guidebooks on improving one's drawing/designing of web art?

kkenny

Reaction score
There are in bookstores as well as online. How I started webdesign is that I started variations of other layouts I saw on the internet, and once I had my skills with Photoshop and XHTML and other coding languages, I started using less and less of other's works and more of mine.

darkX3536

Reaction score
@kkenny: Tried those resources... They seem to touch little on aesthetics and focused more on the coding aspect... Am I looking at the wrong places?

Also, in other words, I should start small and then slowly build up the site as it goes live and beyond right?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Just wondering, are there any courses/guidebooks on improving one's drawing/designing of web art?

@kkenny: Tried those resources... They seem to touch little on aesthetics and focused more on the coding aspect... Am I looking at the wrong places?

You should buy Head First Web designing book. Belief me it is very interesting and easy book. I've recently purchased books for HTML and CSS, JavaScript, PHP, AJAX, Web designing and MySQL of Head First Series. And I like it.