Downtime warning

okayvin50

Reaction score
I just found out that my server is undergoing planned maintenance. I would really appreciate a warning next time.
http://status.x10hosting.com/

I created my website as a portfolio to aid in job interviews. I have a phone interview in one hour and I can't direct my interviewer to the portfolio because my website is down. If I had known ahead of time, I would have made a backup site on another hosting service.

My suggestions is to send emails to everyone whos server will be affected, or integrate the status page into the control panel, where it is more likely to be seen.

Thank you

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Even though there was no direct warning, I recommend you check the status website regularily. On the status website, it did say a few hours before the maintenance that it would take place as soon as a technician was available.

The reason you were not notified earlier is probably because after the failure was found x10 wanted it to be fixed ASAP.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

There is a large link at the top of the forums to the status page ( http://bit.ly/nXvwWh ). The idea is users see it when they do their mandatory once monthly forum login in order to avoid suspension. It wouldn't be ideal emailing all of the x tens-of-thousands of account holders x10 has on free.

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We can't email that many users, it takes over a day to email everyone never mind the issues with sending that many emails. I would suggest subscribing to the RSS feed on the status site.

okayvin50

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I will figure out the RSS feeds and suscribe to that.
But I thought that maybe your email server might have an automation system. For example, my university has an email address for each department. And any email that is sent to that address is sent to every email that has been placed under that department.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
So one email to the CS department generates 10,000 emails?

okayvin50

Reaction score
Yes, they have dedicated network administrators there.
The department emails also refuse incoming emails from outside domains to prevent spam (only people within a department can use the department email)

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

My site is up again, but I guess I will have to have a backup site just in case there is another maintenance planned during one of my interviews.
Other than this incident, the service has been great, and the control panel is the best that I have worked with so far. I'd still recommend this hosting service. But as a professional matter, I will have to warn anyone I recommend that the service is undergoing upgrades, for good (better service) or bad (downtime). But of course, if anyone is looking for free hosting, x10 is still the best option.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

my control panel file manager isnt working, but im assuming that it is just temporary until the migration is finished

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
my control panel file manager isnt working, but im assuming that it is just temporary until the migration is finished
That should be fixed now, according to Corey.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Note that it's easy to do the "group" thing at the receiving end -- it can involve either an SMS (single message store, where only one copy of the message exists, but each user gets a link to it -- that's how MS Exchange works), or simple copying of a document/file/record at the level of a server or two (default config for most other mail systems). Either way, it's done very quickly based on entries in a local directory. From the sender's end, if the email goes outside of the system, then each and every mail sent needs to be separately routed to each of the recipients. So you're not sending one email with 10,000 addresses on it, you're sending 10,000 emails, each to a single address (although each may carry a list of all of the recipient with it inside the routed message package so you can do silly things like "reply to all").

markinddesign47

Reaction score
this is the best hosting i found.. and i just found they have maintenance.. hmm how about if the server x10hosting is under maintenance they provide a maintenance page on our domain (if possible) so we and client know that the link domain we gave was under maintenance..

also i like to have and x10hosting link button on my page.. so we can promote x10hosting.com on our site...

i hope i can help ^_^

thanks!

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
@ray6027390 - For support, please create a support ticket.