Drupal HTTP requests fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

tixilite

Reaction score
I get this error on my Drupal website:

Error
HTTP request status - Fails
Your system or network configuration does not allow Drupal to access web pages, resulting in reduced functionality. This could be due to your webserver configuration or PHP settings, and should be resolved in order to download information about available updates, fetch aggregator feeds, sign in via OpenID, or use other network-dependent services. If you are certain that Drupal can access web pages but you are still seeing this message, you may add $conf['drupal_http_request_fails'] = FALSE; to the bottom of your settings.php file.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Because of abuse in the form of proxy servers on X10 free accounts, software running on your account, such as Drupal, will not be able to connect to other websites in this way.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Not currently.

What are Drupal trying to connect to? If it is of common interest there may be a chance to make an exception for it in the firewall. To do this we'd need the IP of the site Drupal is connecting to.

tixilite

Reaction score
The address that Drupal connects to is http://updates.drupal.org/ which according to cmd is 140.211.166.21.

I recently installed Drupal 7 though and when I was running Drupal 6, I don't recall having this problem. Is the limit a new rule by X10hosting?

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
The rule is to help bring down the number of proxies on hosting-this makes for less abuse on the server, and as proxies require a lot of requests etc, should speed up the sites of legitimate users.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The rule has been in place for a few weeks, it is possible that Drupal 6 had a different approach to it, or that it used another site/IP that has already been made into an exception.

I'll relay the information, this would most likely be something we can set an exception for.

tixilite

Reaction score
Has the exception been added? I am still having issues with the HTTP requests. I think it would be best to add the whole drupal.org domain, if that's possible.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
We can only do it on a per IP basis, and the two IPs that are associated with the domain drupal.org has been added already.

So updates and such thing from their site should work, but OpenID, and other services, that use a different IP would still be blocked (unless a rule for those has been added), so it is likely that you will continue to see that error message simply because overall access is not available, assuming it is a configuration warning you get.

tixilite

Reaction score
I believe the issue is because Drupal 7 uses a different PHP function from Drupal 6(which worked fine). It seems that x10Hosting has disabled some PHP functions which Drupal uses. The functions are:

function_exists()
fread()
fwrite()
stream_context_create()
stream_set_timeout()
stream_get_meta_data()
stream_socket_client() - specifically this

I'm assuming one or more of the above functions are disabled.

Last edited:

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Yes, stream_socket_client() is disabled on Free Hosting. There should still be numerous other ways to call out to other sites (curl comes to mind), so you should see if it is possible to enable one of those alternative methods.

Also, the firewall block on outgoing connections has been from my understanding lifted, so once you do have that working, there should be no issues contacting sites.

tixilite

Reaction score
Is it possible to make some sort of exception?
I can't use other ways since I'm not an expert in that matter and it would mean coding parts of Drupal myself.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
No. This is because any changes to the php settings would be server-wide, not on an individual account basis, and the settings are not going to change due to this. You may need to contact the creators of Drupal through their support to find a way to work around this.

Status
Not open for further replies.