Email: Is "SPF_SOFTFAIL" a Serious Problem?

pintwin173

Reaction score
Seems I can receive emails but some people report they didn't get email I sent. In addition, some websites whose comment boards require an email address have marked my comments as "Detected as Spam", and they're either rejected :(or future comments banned :banghead:

Using a popular email testing tool (mail-tester.com) returns this result:

--> You are not allowed to use your sender email addresses

SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF: Sender does not match SPF record (softfail)

[SPF] unsolicited.elementfx.com does not allow your server 198.91.80.251 to use
maildrop@unsolicited.elementfx.com or
sitemaster@unsolicited.elementfx.com

What we retained as your current SPF record is:
v=spf1 a mx ip4:198.91.81.13 ~all​

It should be changed to:
v=spf1 a mx ip4:198.91.81.13 ip4:198.91.80.251 ~all
The Name Server handling the domain name unsolicited.elementfx.com is ns2.x10hosting.com.

unsolicited.elementfx.com: Sender is not authorized by default to use 'maildrop@unsolicited.elementfx.com' in 'mfrom' identity, however domain is not currently prepared for false failures (mechanism '~all' matched)
I have no idea if this is a problem, any help you could provide would be appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Pintwin173

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Softfail can be a problem, as the mails may end up in spam at the recipients.

The second IP as suggested to be added to the SPF record would be our outgoing mailserver, so it is not a bad idea to change to the suggested option.

I'll check with admins if this is something we can set as default instead of only the actual server IP the account is on.

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will look into this further shortly and provide an update as soon as I can! I believe it may be a mix of two issues going on but we should be able to resolve at least one of them.

pintwin173

Reaction score
Thanks, I know you're all busier than one-legged butt kickers and appreciate any help you can give :)

pintwin173

Reaction score
Bump.

Also, this has come to my attention:

--> You do not have a DMARC record

A DMARC policy allows a sender to indicate that their emails are protected by SPF and/or DKIM, and give instruction if neither of those authentication methods passes. Please be sure you have a DKIM and SPF set before using DMARC.

You do not have a DMARC record, please add a TXT record to your domain _dmarc.unsolicited.elementfx.com with the following value:

v=DMARC1; p=none​

Note my Email Accounts page indicates DKIM is enabled, I've no idea if SPF is enabled, available, or even needed.

Regards, Pintwin173

pintwin173

Reaction score
FYI: Here are some examples of websites marking my comments as "Spam" or "Removed" as suspicious:

Ex_01.png Ex_03.png
Note I've already checked if my email addresses have been blacklisted: They have not.

Thanks.

pintwin173

Reaction score
Bump.

Just want to keep this from falling through the electronic cracks ;)

pintwin173

Reaction score
Bump.

Just want to keep this from falling through the electronic cracks ;)

pintwin173

Reaction score
No worries, just wanted to check on progress, I know you people are busy.

Thanks in advance!

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bumpity Bump Bump ;)
This has been a crazy month for us at x10 with launching some new stuff within free and our projects going on over on premium. I do apologize no real excuses other wise. I have this on my to-do list by the end of the week to either attempt to resolve this or provide a workaround solution if one is available. My last attempt failed as I am personally not familiar with the setting however doing a little more research I may be able to come up with a resolution for us.