Resolved error 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

theengli

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been experienceing error 500 on my site since morning - the site's down.
Is it somehow connected to the earlier issues on the server or is it something else?

theengli

Reaction score
I tried switching to different PHP versions in the DirectAdmin Panel as it had been advised in some of the earlier threads to try to resolve this issue - it didn't help.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 500 would not be related to the ongoing issues posted in other threads.

The error log, found under "System Info & Files -> Sits Summary / Statistics / logs" can hold clues. Maybe there is one or more extensions that needs to be enabled.

theengli

Reaction score
I'm looking at the error log now, but I don't understand anything here - it's like trying to read hieroglyphics.
I'm sorry to bother you, but can you help me?
What should I do to get my site working again?
upload_2020-5-2_14-38-13.png
upload_2020-5-2_14-38-30.png

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
By googling the error, I end up at the moodle forum where the suggested solution would be to upgrade the moodle installation.
See: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=364342 (the thread is a bit older but I believe the information is still valid).

However it also says using php v 7.0 or 7.1 should work as the root cause is something that starting from php v. 7.2 is strictly enforced.

In any case keeping the installation up to date is always recommended from a secure stand point as well.

theengli

Reaction score
By googling the error, I end up at the moodle forum where the suggested solution would be to upgrade the moodle installation.
See: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=364342 (the thread is a bit older but I believe the information is still valid).

However it also says using php v 7.0 or 7.1 should work as the root cause is something that starting from php v. 7.2 is strictly enforced.

In any case keeping the installation up to date is always recommended from a secure stand point as well.
I can't upgrade it. Or I don't know how.
I tried doing it in January, and something wasn't compatible with the hosting (there was some info about insufficient msql version or something). I got stuck in the process, lost all the data, and you were kind enough to restore my previous version of the site, so I've been afraid to touch it since then.
And now I can't upgrade because the site has to be working to initiate the upgrading process. And it doesn't work, so I can't even try.
Is this the end?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I did dig a bit further, and while in your account it says you are on php version 7.0, the small file I created to pull the actual php information from the account profile indicates that your site is using php version 7.2 (which would indeed be a reason for the issues).

The fix that should have solved that didn't work so I'll have to take it up to the more seasoned admins.

theengli

Reaction score
I did dig a bit further, and while in your account it says you are on php version 7.0, the small file I created to pull the actual php information from the account profile indicates that your site is using php version 7.2 (which would indeed be a reason for the issues).

The fix that should have solved that didn't work so I'll have to take it up to the more seasoned admins.
Thank you! I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed.

theengli

Reaction score

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's working again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. (to myself): I need to finish up this semester somehow (in the middle of June), and then in summer I'll have to seriously think about how to upgarde this moodle version, what to do, how - sort it all out. It can't go on like this.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear it is back to working properly for you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.