Error 503 Backend fetch failed(PLEASE HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssshicpc

Reaction score
This has gone on for over 2 days, can you please help. ssshic.com
Do you have any idea what is causing it? MERRY XMAS!

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what is causing it?
what x10hosting is saying at --> [ http://status.x10hosting.com/ ]
24 Dec 2015 8:00am EST
We are investigating performance problems on the server "xo7" that developed last night, where sites on this server are experiencing slowness and intermittent "Backend Fetch Failed" errors. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

l4w2game

Reaction score
I'm not getting any backend fetch errors now, but the server is a bit slow.
Probably won't be able to make a new thread on my board today though.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Last edited:

ssshicpc

Reaction score
on that statement that was made on 24 Dec 2015 8:00am EST - it says " ...that developed last night" which would be on 23 Dec 2015
my old school math says that is three (3) days (i.e. 23, 24, 25 of Dec 2015)
I see nothing about "1 day"

###
BTW I posted that statement above at --> [ https://x10hosting.com/community/th...-fetch-failed-please-help.198428/#post-950154 ]

Hi Bdistler,
I dont know why it doesnt come up on the report. I tried to log on my site, late 23rd night and I couldn't log in, I got this same bad error on the page.
By midnight today it would be 3 days, hence I said 'Almost 3 Days'. Perhaps I am bad at basic Mathematics, the time frame was just a generalisation of my experience.
It is understandable if it is down because it is Christmas, due to high traffic season and no one is available to help at this period.
The question is why this happens, I am not having a go at you or the team. I am just asking questions and advice on what to do. That is all.

Attachments

• 10Untitled.jpg
    10Untitled.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

caftpx10

Reaction score
Basically, the Varnish Cache Server (the thing that makes sites seem faster) is having problems communicating with Apache (the web server that serves your webpages).

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
while the other accounts (users) that I know of - that have the current issue - on free-hosting server [ xo7 ] - throw 503 errors for one (1) or two (2) minutes every few hours when a hit is made on them - the rest of the time they have no issues - that is they throw a 503 error on some of the hits but not all of the hits

BUT
your URL [ http://ssshic.com/ ] throws a 503 error each time a hit is made on it
IMO - your script(s) did not produce a result within about thirty seconds (PHP time-out limit)
until the other issues with free-hosting server [ xo7 ] are resolved by the Admins there is not much you can do about it

Last edited:

poopscra

Reaction score
Basically, the Varnish Cache Server (the thing that makes sites seem faster) is having problems communicating with Apache (the web server that serves your webpages).
Wow, that just summed up my 2 days of researching for WTF IS GOING on in 30 seconds :D
Cheers.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

I am very sorry for the service disruption on xo7; this definitely isn't normal on our free hosting service, nor is this a level of service we accept. I'll briefly post a quick update here. After seeing that xo7 was reporting an abnormally high server load on Christmas Eve, I made a status post and passed the issue on to our administrators, who are actively looking into what is causing this now. From what I gather, our web server (Apache) is serving requests much more slowly than usual, as a result of this. This means PHP scripts take longer to execute. When a script takes too long to execute, or Apache can't serve the request, Varnish (our cache server) throws a 503 Backend Fetch Failed error, since Apache fails to give a valid response, as caftpx10 said. Therefore, some websites will be more affected by the issue than others. If your site consists of static webpages, Varnish can quickly serve cached versions of these pages for longer, so it is less likely visitors will see any problems. If your site consists of dynamic content (like PHP scripts, such as a blog or forum), you may see slow loading times or 503 errors when loading your site, until this issue is resolved.

I really appreciate everyone's patience as we look into this, and putting this issue aside, I hope everyone has had a happy Christmas so far today. ;)

Thank you,

Last edited:

ssshicpc

Reaction score
Dead-i,
Thanks for the clarification.
Below I have attached the screenshot of the error report and my server information . You and the other users above were helpful in the 'Varnish Cache' explanation.
  • Server: xo7.x10hosting.com (Port 21)
I look forward to hearing from the admin when it is done. Thank you again.

Attachments

• xxxx.jpg
    xxxx.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 5

freezin2

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very sorry for the service disruption on xo7; this definitely isn't normal on our free hosting service, nor is this a level of service we accept. I'll briefly post a quick update here. After seeing that xo7 was reporting an abnormally high server load on Christmas Eve, I made a status post and passed the issue on to our administrators, who are actively looking into what is causing this now. From what I gather, our web server (Apache) is serving requests much more slowly than usual, as a result of this. This means PHP scripts take longer to execute. When a script takes too long to execute, or Apache can't serve the request, Varnish (our cache server) throws a 503 Backend Fetch Failed error, since Apache fails to give a valid response, as caftpx10 said. Therefore, some websites will be more affected by the issue than others. If your site consists of static webpages, Varnish can quickly serve cached versions of these pages for longer, so it is less likely visitors will see any problems. If your site consists of dynamic content (like PHP scripts, such as a blog or forum), you may see slow loading times or 503 errors when loading your site, until this issue is resolved.

I really appreciate everyone's patience as we look into this, and putting this issue aside, I hope everyone has had a happy Christmas so far today. ;)

Thank you,
Thanks for that explanation. I moved my pages to another server, and created a redirect, because my page really needed to be up through December 24. (It's a registration form for a local contest, and the registration deadline was that day.) Another member has been telling me that the redirect can't possibly work if the page doesn't, because they are both on the same server. Never mind that in fact, the redirect was working perfectly, while the page produced errors every time I tried removing the redirect. But this explains the discrepancy -- the redirect is static, while the page is a PHP based form.

ssshicpc

Reaction score
Yes I have moved my site somewhere else too, having to start all over is a pain. It is annoying, but hey, that is what we get for free hosting.

Last edited:

freezin2

Reaction score
Yes I have moved my site somewhere else too, having to start all over is a pain. It is annoying, but hey, that is what we get for free hosting.

Yeah, mine is a WordPress site. I was able to download the database, and use it to recreate the site elsewhere, so I wasn't entirely starting over. But it was still a pain, particularly since all this happened at the very time that registration for the contest was closing, and a lot of people needed to get to it.

ssshicpc

Reaction score
Lucky you, now I am a lot wiser. LOL

Yeah, mine is a WordPress site. I was able to download the database, and use it to recreate the site elsewhere, so I wasn't entirely starting over. But it was still a pain, particularly since all this happened at the very time that registration for the contest was closing, and a lot of people needed to get to it.

cedm

Reaction score

This is throwing me for a loop! Almost cancelled two broadcasts. I have Two Questions for you: Where did you move your site to and also, how can I download my site? I have a WordPress site as well, but via the app through x10hosting. Any help is cool

cedm

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you,

Any New Info would really be awesome! My site is just getting error messages.

freezin2

Reaction score
This is throwing me for a loop! Almost cancelled two broadcasts. I have Two Questions for you: Where did you move your site to and also, how can I download my site? I have a WordPress site as well, but via the app through x10hosting. Any help is cool
On the first part, the site to which I moved is, unfortunately, a paid site (through 1and1 hosting). I primarily use it for my professional site, but was able to move the site from here over there on an emergency basis.

On the second part, there is an easy way of doing this if you get even a little time when your site here is working, and a harder way if that doesn't happen. Easy way is that you install and activate a plug-in called "WP Clone by WP Academy" on both the site you're moving from and the site you're moving to. On the site you're moving from, you click on the link for WP Clone, select Create Backup, then click the Create Backup button. This gives you a link for the backup. You then go to the site you're moving to, click on the link for WP Clone, select Restore from URL, put in the link you just got, agree to the terms, and click the Restore from URL button.

Harder way (but one that works even if your site here is never up) is to go to your Control Panel here. Go to your database. (There is a link at the top of the page if you're using the old style control panel, or one under Databases if you're using the new one.) Choose PHP My Admin. Click on your database and choose Export. That gives you a file you can download.

Open the file you just downloaded with something like Notepad. Search for the name of the database, and change that to the new one. Search for the username, and change that to the new one.

On the new site, install all the plugins you had before. Then go to PHP My Admin on the new site, select the database, and choose Import. That should bring in the stuff from your current site to the new one. You may have to fiddle with a few things. (E.g., reupload the header image or the icon.) But basically, you will have your whole site back.

Status
Not open for further replies.