error connection to gmails smtp server on port 587

Status
Not open for further replies.

boedy

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if port 587 is blocked by x10hosting. Getting the following error:

Failed to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:587 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:587 (Unknown error) (code: -1, response: )]

dlukin

Reaction score
Good luck getting an answer.
Mail from x10 servers is treated like spam by some mail hosts because of abuse of a few.
One way around that, and around the 100 emails/hr limit, is to use Google and SMTP.

But they seem to have blocked the ports. Ports that apparently open before.

Or so it seems. You can't get an answer out of them.

boedy

Reaction score
I've read a couple of forum post back in 2007 that the administrator opened the specified ports.

I'm having the same problem using the default mail() option. Most mail send will end up in the spam folder. Any workarounds are much appreciated.

cheers

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Try using the standard SMTP port, which is 465 for gmail using SSL, if you don't use SSL you won't be able to connect either.

Let me know how that goes.

dlukin

Reaction score
I used a local copy of PEAR::MAIL to connect to gmail via SMTP on port 465 and send an email.

It worked fine on another hosting company.

Code:
Failed to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket: Connection timed out (code: -1, response: )]

is the error message when I just tried it on my friend's account on Chopin (I am on Lotus which isn't working at the moment)

So, you guys blocked the port. The way to use Google Apps so we won't bog down your mail server. The way people can send mail and not worry about footers. The way people can send mail and not worry about accidentally breaking the 100/hr limit.
You guys blocked the port.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.