Executing Aspnet_reegsql.exe on X10 Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerman

Reaction score
I have just created my first site on MS Visual Web Developer. I previously had MS FrontPage sites on X10 hosting. Anyway, I understand I need to run Aspnet_regsql.exe to register my SQL Server DB to the site I have developed and published to the X10 host. I'm pretty sure of the parameters I need to specify in the command line. I just have a couple of important questions.

First, what is the DB server I neerd to reference. My site is located at /home/tigerman/public_html/palisadesrehabproto.co.cc?

Secondly, how do I access the command line prompt on X10 Hosting so I can actually execute the command successfully? Thank you for any help I can get.

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You cannot use SSH (command line) on free hosting for security reasons.

The database server is "localhost" (without the quotes).

I also see you want to execute a .exe program, that will not work on Linux anyway.

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
You can't use mssql here, if you want access to a database, use mysql, look up mysql .net connector
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/6.1.html

I would like to also note that the servers use mono_mod to run asp.net, which uses the mono Framework, not the .net framework provided by Microsoft, so while most things run fine on both mono and .net, its not 100% interchangeable.

tigerman

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I will hafta check out that site. At the same time, the DB I am referring to is the application management DB put together automatically by Visual Web Developer. Please don't tell me I will have to convert it to MySQL!

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You will unless you are going to connect to a different mssql server. X10 only offers mysql.

tigerman

Reaction score
I thought I had other .NET websites hosted at X10 that I developed with VWD; gjpportfolio.x10hosting.com and grouptigermanconsult.com
Edit:
Supermatthew,
Thank u very much for referring me to that website. It looks like it has a lot of great tools and I will get alot out of it. I still haven't completely figured out the connector yet but it looks like it will work quite well. ;)

Last edited:

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
when i played with it, and switched from mssql to mysql, all i had to do is change
Code:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
and maybe something else. i believe they both use the DbCommand and DbConnection interfaces, so they work almost interchangeably.

tigerman

Reaction score
Supermatthew,
Pardon my very basic understanding of all this stuff but where would that code be included. I am a novice at a lot of this. I am trying to use Visual Web Developer as my development tool. I have taken a look at my web.config file and there isn't amything there that resembles the code you recommended. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.