Favorite Operating System

Which is your favorite operating system?

• Windows Vista

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 46 38.7%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Windows Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98

• Linux

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Unix

• SunOS

• Mac

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.1%

• Total voters

HomerJ

Reaction score
What OTHER OS' are there????

Lots. It wouldn't make sense to break down linux by distribution though, there are just so many. But, there is also FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Minix, Solaris, Plan 9, Inferno, GNU/HURD, OpenDarwin, and several more Unix-likes. Then there are the non-Unix-likes...

But it wouldn't make sense to include any of these beyond maybe the BSDs (all as one option) and then maybe Plan9 and Solaris. They are just too unpopular.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like the way Vista looks, but just too many problems. so XP
also, Dell computers are cheaper than buying Macs

sunils

Reaction score
Even i like the linux versions. Tried Redhat, Suse, Knopix, Caldera, mandrake, ubuntu and fedora core.

there a lot of them

kkenny

Reaction score
Fedora Core
Debian
and The "buntu" Series are the only decent ones out there.

OpenSuSe is OK, only because it has high support for wireless drives.
Mandrivia is also OK, but then it crashes often when you are running too many processes.

I reccomend Fedora Core for people who want to "customize" their desktop and have easy linux installing (YUM package installs)
I reccomend Debian for people who know Linux Code
the "buntus" are for the people who follow trends

microsoft ftl.

eliasr

Reaction score
My Favorite is Windows XP, Fedora Core to, but now i develop videogames under DirectX, all my school projects are powered by C# and i realy like Visual Studio [great IDE], so Windows XP is a great OS for me.

I tray now the Mono project to develop .NET on Linux, but the combo [DirectX|C++|Visual Studio] is a great, powerfull and heavy reason to stay with Windows XP.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Fedora Core
Debian
and The "buntu" Series are the only decent ones out there.

OpenSuSe is OK, only because it has high support for wireless drives.
Mandrivia is also OK, but then it crashes often when you are running too many processes.

I reccomend Fedora Core for people who want to "customize" their desktop and have easy linux installing (YUM package installs)
I reccomend Debian for people who know Linux Code
the "buntus" are for the people who follow trends

microsoft ftl.

There are plenty of other good linux distros out there. However, most are based on one of the few "original," so to speak, ones. Even ubuntu is based on Debian.

Personally, I can't stand any of the ones you have named (especially SUSE, ewww).

D2Chaos

Reaction score
I like the Windows XP the best out of all the operating systems. I've heard that Vista has a lot of updates that get very annoying. I've never used really any of the others besides 98 and Mellinium.

KentonBomb

Reaction score
I think the entire forum knows I'm a die-hard Linux user, but if I ABSOLUTELY had to choose a Windows version, I would choose Server 2003. It's just like XP in "Overhauled to run a server"-mode.

mender42

Reaction score
Well I'll be the loner, I like Windows 2000 Server because of the stability and the security.

I wish I had XP or Vista for some of the applications I cannot use and when it comes to Graphics Apple still rocks. I use cygwin for my Linix applications. Linix/Unix forever! Or maybe I just like Penguins?

Stormscape

Reaction score
Personally I liked Windows 2000 the best out of the choices. Interesting that you neglected to include Windows Server 2003, despite the fact that it is a server OS. 2003 is in fact good for a great many thing once you have drivers installed and services disabled/enabled. In fact I used a 2003 Release Candidate as my major Operating System for nearly a year. 2003 is basically XP without all the fancy.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I always thought of Windows Server 2003 more of business than personal use.
I didn't think anyone would use it as their OS.

Last edited:

pgames

Reaction score
My first PC was a Windows 3.1... Those were the days :). It was cool when it was still around.

Right now I like XP the most

Last edited:

jeffrios

Reaction score
As long as no one says Windows ME...:nuts:

XP isn't bad. I liked 98 also.

sumitmehta

Reaction score
Without any doubt, Windows XP. It is one of the most intelligent and safe systems I have ever seen. I do like open source os's but windows is probably the best according to me.

excid3

Reaction score
Linux of course! Arch linux and ubuntu is where its at :biggrin: Windows 3.11 was good too...

Nick2007

Reaction score
I have to say Windows XP, I've been using it for a very long time and hardly had any problems with it. It's a very stable OS in my opinion, and pretty much all programs work, and I rarely have compatibility problems.