FileFront Shutting Down!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
After this week, the gaming community as well as the modding community is going to be taking a huge blow. A few days ago, FileFront announced that they are shutting down for good due to economic problems on Monday, March 30, 2009. I'm sad to see FileFront go as that is the ONLY Site where I can hit my full download/upload speed at 24/7, and can max out FiOS. So, if any of you have game demos, mods, files, etc to get off of that site, grab them now!

Looks like it's time for me to find a new, fast File host!

RIP FileFront :tear:

Last edited:

freenetter

Reaction score
That's a shame. These days, I think it's pretty risky to trust file storage companies other than Microsoft's SkyDrive or other big ones like Mozy

omoney

Reaction score
This news is saddening to me too. I use that site occasionally for downloading patches for my games when the developers are messy about putting their patches in easily accessible places. Filefront was a place where you could find all the free digital material you needed.

frankfriend

Reaction score
The sad news is a great example of the dangers of using 'off site' locations without having a back up plan.

xPlozion

Reaction score
That's a shame. I never really used filefront though. I use Gamershell instead.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
That's a shame. I never really used filefront though. I use Gamershell instead.

You should have used FileFront when it was still well and active. Gamer's Hell would not on any of their servers give me any more than 920KB/s of download. FileFront would always kick out 2MB/s+ whenever I was on that large of a connection. Otherwise guys, finish up with your downloading as we have less than a day left!

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
AHAHAHA!

This was a really funny joke. Not really.

Their idea of April Fools is really horrible. I was scared!

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
AHAHAHA!

This was a really funny joke. Not really.

Their idea of April Fools is really horrible. I was scared!

It's not.

http://forums.filefront.com/announcements-698/announcements.html

I assure you all that the forums being online at this time is not a joke or something that is temporary. What information I have is that there will be more information to be expected sometime tomorrow. I myself am not entirely sure what is going on and why the forums are back online. I'll know when you know really. I was just instructed to let you know that this is for real and not a joke by any stretch of the imagination. I know many will not believe me because of the terrible timing, but the persons that I had talked to about this would never joke with me about this sort of thing.

More to come as I find it out.

Jeff

Speeds seem to be dropping tons on a lot of their files too, and there's a Featured Video portion of their site on the front page that has been down for maintainence for a few days.

EDIT: K, there's some speculation on their own forums at the moment that it sounds like FF was actually bought out and saved from the Void, hence why it came back online - the forums in particular had up and died not long ago.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's put up a live blog and see how many hits we get.
haha

Found this:

Ziff Davis Media, Inc., which is FileFront's parent company wasnt bought out, it entered voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization on 3/5/08.

Maybe the reorganization involved closing the FileFront main site and the forums for a while while the creditors took over some sort of switch was made.

Heres the link to the ZD Media page if you dont believe me.
Ziff Davis Media : Press Release

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
New announcements up, Filefront was bought back by the original site founders on April 1 and all services were immediately brought back online.

So in recap: FileFront shutdown wasn't april fools, and it's just a coincidence that it was resurrected on april first.

thebabyhater

Reaction score
It's tough to run a file host. Not many people truly understand the raw amount of money that goes toward both bandwidth and hosting, even if one has their own servers. I personally only used FileFront very rarely, usually only if I couldn't find the download anywhere else, but nevertheless I'm glad they're not going under.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Same here, and it's glad to hear that they are sticking around. Long live FileFront :p

damnskip

Reaction score
Glad to hear they will continue to be around. I personally use them quite a bit.