Firefox-3 About 9000 downloads per minute

pokerhaji

Reaction score
Firefox 3 downloads clear 8 million mark

Take this statistic with a grain of salt, but Mozilla said more than 8 million copies of Firefox 3 were downloaded in its first 24 hours online.
firefox-3-download-day-reco.jpg
Mozilla, which is behind the open-source Web browser, was trying to set a download record for the software. The 24-hour period lasted from 11:16 a.m. PDT Tuesday to the same time Wednesday, and Mozilla said it's waiting for the Guinness Book of World Records to review the results.

firefox_3_downloads_11_16_a_m-tek4_co_nr.PNG
Mozilla showed more than 8 million copies of Firefox 3 were downloaded in its first 24 hours online.

To Know More :Tek4.co.nr

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you hear how much bandwidth Mozilla was using up as well? At one point, they had been using 13Gbps of INTERNET BANDWIDTH because of all the downloaders.

mifuyu

Reaction score
Wow.. that's a lot of bandwidth. :O But I really like Firefox 3's colors~ <3

jjpeacha

Reaction score
Im using it now on my Wndows box, and i've noticed the speed if it already. However I wasn't able to download it from the site during the 24 hour period because the site crashed.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Most datacenters only have a 10Gbps line. x10 would have to be paying $20,000+ dollars a month just to even get remotely close to that much handwidth.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Just goes to show how much support Mozilla has in the browser market and the open source communities. I feel congratulations are in order for these amazing statistics!

-Luke.

LHVWB

Reaction score
The downloads yesterday had to have been horribly slow!

They were actually really quick, I have ADSL2+ and I downloaded and installed it in about 5 min. I especially love that it keep my old settings/bookmarks from FF2! :)

FF3 FTW! :biggrin:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
The downloads were going quick for me as well. There was this one mirror I got a lot that I knew was slow, but all I had to do was stop it and try it again, and I'd get a fast one. I pulled 1MB/s from the site, and got it all installed within 2 minutes.

scottnj

Reaction score
You know how much that'd cost?
I wonder how many servers they were shipping people to for that. Could you imagine what would happen to one of our servers if we had 13 GBps going. Mine's offline right now, it would probably blow up with that kind of bandwith

kkenny

Reaction score
I wonder how many servers they were shipping people to for that. Could you imagine what would happen to one of our servers if we had 13 GBps going. Mine's offline right now, it would probably blow up with that kind of bandwith

Tier 4 servers should have that kind of connection. Their supposedly the servers with the fastest connection (any general server)

Anyways that is still pretty amazing.

nwskier

Reaction score
Yeah Firefox 3 is great, I had no idea that it only went public recently. I've been using the beta versions of 3 for quite awhile now and we got the last update to Firefox 3 well over a week ago, and before that it was RC1 and RC2 for weeks.

Yeah scottnj, my site is still offline right now too :-( The Apache on our Cossacks server seems to break and go offline everyday, I'm guessing you're on Cossacks too right?

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Most datacenters only have a 10Gbps line. x10 would have to be paying $20,000+ dollars a month just to even get remotely close to that much handwidth.

Let's see our Datacenter has 6x 10 Gig Public Providers!

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I actually liked the beta versions a lot better. Worked better for me. ;)