Flight Sims

blewis11219

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you have flown or fly for any virtual airlines on VatSim/Microsoft Flight Simulator

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't flown for a virtual airline but I had FS9 installed on my other computer. It worked well but I enjoy using X-Plane for iPad much better because you get a much better feel of the plane especially if you turn the turbulence on. :)

exthero84

Reaction score
Love flight sims, Have FS9 and FSX, X-Plane and CFS 3 with all expansions.
I have only used a cheap Flight stick and mouse and Keyboard, Heard that once you play with a Yoke, foot peddles and Throttle controls you'll wonder how you ever played differently.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Does anyone know /how/ good microsoft flight sim x is? I'm wanting to buy it but not sure whether its going to be realistic enough.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Does anyone know /how/ good microsoft flight sim x is? I'm wanting to buy it but not sure whether its going to be realistic enough.
I had FSX on a desktop which I recently gave to a friend, (computer and software). I would rate it at about 9.5 out of of possible 10, taking away points for the terminal / gate areas which I think could have, (and should have), been much more realistic. I used to play it for hours and hours hours in my spare time. Had dual monitors with flight controls and GPS on one monitor and cockpit view on the other monitor. Also had good quality flight yoke, pedals, and good speaker system. Overall I found it to very realistic and a lot of fun. Then I realized that I just do not have time for fun anymore.... :frown:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
That depends whether you want flight-model realism or just eye-candy.
If you want just straight eye-candy then FSX may be a better bet *currently*, although bear in mind that it is no longer in proper development as Microsoft laid-off all the FS developers so it will start to fall behind in taking advantage of new features. Also, it obviously only works on Windows, whilst a lot of the competitors are cross-platform.
If you want a greater flight-model realism then you'll want to go with X-Plane, as it calculates the flight data on the go rather than relying on lookup tables, this also means it simulates some of the more detailed parts of aerodynamics without updating every aircraft when the flight engine is modified. The graphics engine in X-Plane isn't quite as glitzy as FSX, but actually I far prefer it as it doesn't fell over saturated and comic-ish. If you're going to go with X-Plane, you may want to wait till the end of the year when version 10 is due to be released with better just-about-everything. Also, try the demo first and see if you like that.

Note: I develop tools for X-Plane, so you may have to consider me a biased source :)

phinix0867

Reaction score
I think its a good sim. The community for it is huge so there is alot of custom content.