Forced to install Wordpress myself, now having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

granger99

Reaction score
Hello, I installed Wordpress myself. But my URL is now "http://mysite.com/wordpress"

I want it to be "http:/www.mysite.com"

If I change the setting in Wordpress itself, I end up with the following:

-------------------------
Index of /
* cgi-bin/
* images/
* postinfo.html
* wordpress/
-------------------------
Furthermore, when I try to log in, I get a 404 error page from X10 hosting.

I have deleted and re-installed several times, and tried to put Wordpress in the root, but for some reason it refuses to go there. I have been told to "move" the files to the root after successful install in a subdirectory, but the system will not allow me to do that either. When I try to do a redirect in cPanel, that doesn't seem to help. I am really at the end of my rope and finally decided to submit a ticket.

Thank you, more background available on this thread:

http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-h...rdpress-myself-now-getting-error-message.html

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I have deleted and re-installed several times, and tried to put Wordpress in the root, but for some reason it refuses to go there.

There is no reason you should not be able to put it into public_html.

Place the WordPress files in the desired location on your web server:
  • If you want to integrate WordPress into the root of your domain (e.g. http://example.com/), move or upload all contents of the unzipped WordPress directory (but excluding the directory itself) into the root directory of your web server.

granger99

Reaction score
Place the WordPress files in the desired location on your web server:
  • If you want to integrate WordPress into the root of your domain (e.g. http://example.com/), move or upload all contents of the unzipped WordPress directory (but excluding the directory itself) into the root directory of your web server.
Up to this point, I have uploaded the entire zipped wordpress folder and then unpacked it once it was on the server. If I unzip it first, then I have all those files to upload, and I can't identify where exactly to put them. Yes, I have FileZilla (just looked at it a few minutes ago), but identifying the root directory is a bit confusing for me.

Thanks for trying to help me.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Open FileManager
Go to the wordpress directory
Click once on everthing in the directory so they are all selected.
Drag them all to the left pane that shows the directory structure
Rest the cursor (four-pointed star) over public_html (the one with the globe icon), make sure the directory is highlighted, and release the mouse button
All the files in 'wordpress' should now be in public_html (the document root for your domain).
Later, remove the empty 'wordpress' directory

Last edited:

granger99

Reaction score
Open FileManager
Go to the wordpress directory
Click once on everthing in the directory so they are all selected.
Drag them all to the left pane that shows the directory structure
Rest the cursor (four-pointed star) over public_html (the one with the globe icon), make sure the directory is highlighted, and release the mouse button
All the files in 'wordpress' should now be in public_html (the document root for your domain).
Later, remove the empty 'wordpress' directory

When I do as you have instructed, it gives me an error message saying

"source and destination are the same"

That's because Wordpress is already in the public_html folder, but it is ALSO showing farther down on the directory structure. Why is it in two places? All I have done here is upload the zip file in its entirety and that's where Wordpress ended up.

switch48

Reaction score
Hi granger99, I'll help if i can mate I just installed wordpress on here it all works mint.I'm not sure where to start so can delete all and start from scratch...

I take it you have setup your domain name and that the nameservers point to your free x10 hosting account...

If so sweet we will move on...

granger99

Reaction score
This is how I solved the problem:

Deleted my database.

Deleted wordpress files using file manager.

At this point, "public_html" were empty. Deleted files _vti_inf.html and postinfo.html , and the directories cgi-bin ,images and _vti_bin.

Uploaded the ALREADY UNZIPPED wordpress files and directories (with their contents) to "public_html" using FileZilla.

Then I followed the 5-minute install instructions on Wordpress.org and now the blog is working perfectly and is in my root directory which means "www.mysite.com"

Last edited:

switch48

Reaction score
Sweet nice to see you got it but why did you delet all that other stuff I didnt delete anything....

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello, as it seems this issue is resolved, i am going to close this topic. If you need more assistance please create a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.