Forwarding email

Status
Not open for further replies.

grvsx10h

Reaction score
I had showinfo@grvs email MX record forwarded to my personal email and discovered the emails were never received. I've deleted that MX record hoping my other forward from my domain supplier would kick in. Nope.

How do I set up this email address to forward to my personal email?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Free hosting does not provide email forwarders.

If you want to be able to use the forward from your domain supplier, you need to set MX records to match their mail servers otherwise they won't handle mails, if you use our name servers you need to do that in our DNS management, if you use the registrars name servers you need to make sure there is a valid MX record there. Without MX records mail won't function at all.

grvsx10h

Reaction score
There are MX records at my host site (image attached)
I've changed MX records here under DNS Management -- but with no instructions I had to guess at what values to add and where the values go. No idea what TTL is nor it's value. No idea what the dropdown 'value' should be. Don't even know if this change requires 24 hours to take effect. Some documentation would be helpful.

Attachments

• servers.jpg
    servers.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 13

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
emails are still undeliverable. I need more information, please.

As Anna stated:
If you want to be able to use the forward from your domain supplier,
you need to set MX records to match their mail servers.
she also stated:
if you use our name servers you need to do that in our
DNS management.

the mx records has to point to the host that you use for email.
you can also use google to search how to edit the mx records.

also note editing the mx records could take 1 to 72 hrs
for changes to take effect (same as changing DNS)

grvsx10h

Reaction score
As Anna stated:
If you want to be able to use the forward from your domain supplier,
you need to set MX records to match their mail servers.

I appreciate the help spacresx but there is still not enough info in the text you quoted. As I stated:
I've changed MX records here under DNS Management -- but with no instructions I had to guess at what values to add and where the values go

I have no indication (other than emails are not forwarding) that I did something wrong. Which means I need someone who knows what I need to do to look at what I did and explain why it was wrong.

Anna obviously did not give me enough information to accurately make the changes I need. What she said and how I interpret it is:
Free hosting does not provide email forwarders.
I'm either out of luck or it needs to be set up in a non-standard way. I'm assuming a non-standard way because she added additional information.

If you want to be able to use the forward from your domain supplier, you need to set MX records to match their mail servers otherwise they won't handle mails,...
Here at X10 or at the domain supplier? All my other email passes through them for other domains so there are MX records there that work. If I set up MX records on X10 that are identical to MX records there, that would suffice, would it not? Or an I misinterpreting her statement?

if you use our name servers you need to do that in our DNS management,
But by using X10 name servers, they don't have forwarding capabilities (see above) so that's not an option. Or is it? Very unclear/confusing.

if you use the registrars name servers you need to make sure there is a valid MX record there. Without MX records mail won't function at all.
And I did make sure MX records are there. Attached a screenshot. I assumed I needed MX records at X10 also to point to the same place the registrar records point to. I did that. If that's not correct I need more information.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ok, maybe this will help, it is my mx record here at x10 (just edited a bit for privacy)
MX mysite.x10.bz. 14400 0 mysite.x10.bz.

explained a bit more from my direct admin panel/mx records:

record type : MX
name : your domain name
TTL : 14400
value : (did not select, resorted to 0) (i believe usually this is set to 10 but mines at 0)
duplicate to pointers is checked.

ive sent mail to gmail and received replies from gmail.

hope this helps and better explains it.
i should note that my domain was a free x10 domain name.
so mine works fine here.

if you have a different domain name like you.com
you would need to go to your you.com registrar
where you got the domain name to edit the mx record there.
but i believe you would add your you.com domain name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.