FrontPage server extentions

dink

Reaction score
When I read the description for this hosting it said FrontPage Server extensions were installed.
That was my main reason for choosing this hosting.
However, I can't get Visual Studio to work because the Server Extensions aren't installed.
Any help would be appreciated.
I do apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.
dink

dink

Reaction score
I found my answer... I had to install them... dah here's your sign.. ;)

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
FrontPage is ancient technology (2003 was its last update, and it is no longer receiving any form of security update), I highly recommend against using it. If you need a visual designer for your website, consider using our built in sitebuilder in cPanel or software such as Adobe Muse or Dreamweaver. Otherwise, you could always learn HTML and handroll it (you can get nice looking layouts using Bootstrap, and it's free) ;)

As far as FrontPage Extensions goes, those are only installed on Illuminated and x10premium, they are not available on Free Hosting. See here for more information. EDIT: seems that isn't on the chart, so you'll just have to trust me on that one.

dink

Reaction score
Thanks Skizzerz, I was trying to learn how to use Visual Studio 2010.. Guess there is no reason to now.. o_O

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
There's plenty of reasons to learn VS. It's a great tool (though, I personally despise it).

VS != Frontpage. Go learn C#! Or C++!

dink

Reaction score
HI Neil,
Thanks for the reply..
I was just trying to learn something new,, Already know C++, Java, VB, ASP, PHP

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you can pretty much write off VB and ASP (classic). VB still sort of exists (for new development) in the form of VBA, but VB and ASP are legacy tech that are pretty much useless outside of the world of soul-sucking cubicle farms living on the remains of Windows XP. C++ is used where it's used, but that's a shrinking world, if skills-in-demand is what you're after. It's mostly a toolmakers' language now; it's neither small enough for embedded or RAD enough for production. PHP, while ubiquitous, is a crowded space mostly geared towards bending various CMSs to your will. And Java proper tends to be the province of "enterprise" development; none of the cool kids are doing much with the language, even if they're all over the JVM.

C# is a good language, sort of what Java should have been. And you can do both real desktop and real server with it. If you really want to learn something new, though, you might want to look at an alternative JVM language like Scala (a hybrid class/functional language), Clojure (a Lisp dialect) or one of the JVM JavaScripts. (JavaScript is an immensely powerful and expressive language once you figure out that it's not other languages; it has aspects of Scheme and Self wrapped in an unfortunately Java-like syntax, which means that just about everybody tries to make it behave like something it's not.) You can leverage the libraries you know using syntaxes and structures you don't know (or would only rarely use with the awkward implementations that vanilla Java provides). Node.js is good for overhauling your thinking - almost everything you do is "fire and forget" rather than "sit and wait" - but you'd need a *nix box (or VM) to play with. Python is nice if you stay away from Django. (Like any big framework, Django starts off by making things easy, but the moment you want to do things differently, it's a fight for every inch of territory. Flask will have a much lower chance of sending you to an institution for treatment and recovery.)

If you want to raise eyebrows among potential employers, then learn you a Haskell for great good. Or OCaml. It's not that anybody is using either in anger very much, but they'll mark you as somebody who isn't just following the easiest path to the Land of Promised Jobs. For a less-obviously resume-oriented approach, grab a Scheme (MIT, Racket and Chicken are all good) and work your way through SICP. (And make sure you watch the videos. Watch the videos even if you don't ever touch Scheme or read SICP. There's some head-asplodeeng stuff in there if you've never been exposed to a functional homoiconic language, and it will change the way you think about programming.)

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
I use Visual Studio every day at work (doing ASP.NET MVC with C#/razor), and I can state with confidence that I have never used the visual designer, despite working on a website all day -- all of our HTML is hand-coded rather than by dragging and dropping stuff from a toolbox onto the screen. You'll have a much finer control over the output, and the underlying source will look nicer too. The razor view engine offers a ton of improvements over the standard asp view engine as well, making your html templates super easy to work on and modify.

You can learn Visual Studio without Frontpage (and indeed, without the visual designer at all). If C# isn't your thing, try making a C++ app in it. There's also plugins to integrate it with PHP, Python, and a plethora of other languages (some free, others not).

bradleyx

Reaction score
frontpage been updated its not frontpage its Microsoft Expression Web now its last update that i know of was 2010 tho.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
They're still called FrontPage Server Extensions, though.