FTP Program

Hermoine22

Reaction score
I wanted to ask what is a good FTP program to use for uploading. I just found out that SmartFTP isnt free anymore, and my copy expired a long time ago. I haven't used it in over 6 months and now i find out its not free anymore. Any other i can use?

Dan

Reaction score
If you're running windows and you want a really simple free one, just use the one included in Windows Explorer. That's what I use and I find it works fine.
Otherwise, another one I always used to use is CuteFTP, I have no idea if it's still free but that was always very good.

Hermoine22

Reaction score
I got Windows Vista now, how do I use it through windows? i have before but never really liked it, i always liked using smartFtp and this other one i used to use but forgot the name.

scottnj

Reaction score
I use Filezilla. It is light weight, and free. Plus they come out with updates all the time. It has a server manager so you can save different servers and accounts with easy access.

Dan suggested using the one in Windows Explorer, but I have found that it messes with line breaks, and makes it really difficult to read if you have to download and edit it.

scottnj

Reaction score
I got Windows Vista now, how do I use it through windows? i have before but never really liked it, i always liked using smartFtp and this other one i used to use but forgot the name.

IF You have IE7 or Vista: know that IE7 does not work very well for FTP-ing. However if you open up "My Computer" using windows explorer, you can just type in ftp://yoursite.com:username in the address bar. Or just use something like Filezilla.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The FTP capabilities that come with Windows are pretty good, so I'd use that. It's easy to get to. Open "Computer" and enter in the FTP address, or sift through IE's menus to get to the FTP client.

byite

Reaction score
They don't come much better than Filezilla in my opinion.

mifuyu

Reaction score
I definitely, most certainly, absolutely recommend FILEZILLA. =)

Satoru

Reaction score
If you use firefox browser you can get an add-on called Fireftp which is all intergrated in the browser.