Game Programming

kjprice

Reaction score
Does anyone here program their own games? Or have a great idea for one? I just finished programming a review game for my chemistry class and I feel very unproductive without something to work on. And, any advice from more experienced programmers would be greatly appreciated.

VPmase

Reaction score
Well, I code games in Flash and I'm interested seeing if I could make a text based game with PHP and Javascript (AJAX xD). You should try and create something for yourself, even if it has no use at the moment.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I wish I was good at programming - anything. I'm looking for someone to help setup a MUD. ( Yeah, quite outdated, but still kinda popular )

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The best i can do is code in game maker, me and a friend are involved in making a Pokemon RP online, we have it pretty well setup, just a few bugs to fix up then we will have a public release. =]

The best thing to do, is find something you enjoy doing, and make a game out of it, even if other people don't think it is such a great idea.

Just get the hang of many programming languages, and then make a really great game, i know if you code in Visual C# or something you can make some nice small RPG's.

LHVWB

Reaction score
I've never really made games in anything but flash or Game maker either. My brother and I have this idea for a web card game program which acts as a platform, where the rules and the layout for the game are all defined with an xml and you create a different xml file for each card game, and also every different variation of the card game will have slight changes to that xml file. But thats a really wierd concept, and it may not happend! ;)

Last edited:

warlordste

Reaction score
ino this is such a noob question but when it goes to game programming it goes over my head how would i be able to make my own game? and what program should i use?

VPmase

Reaction score
ino this is such a noob question but when it goes to game programming it goes over my head how would i be able to make my own game? and what program should i use?
You could use a lot of programs.
There is GameMaker, Flash(Free Trial) - You can find free versions of flash too -

Then there are the serious programming languages you can use to make games.
JAVA, and C are examples.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
In truth though any "serious" language that can use DirectX or OpenGL is good enough.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm making a text game in C# from tutorials that Liz (bugfinder) pointed me to. They refer to it as a complex 'Hello World!' app....

woiwky

Reaction score
I've worked on all kinds of games since I got into programming, from browser-based text games to 3d mmo's. So I know a few things about this, but I still don't consider myself to be any sort of an absolute master at it. There are a lot of excellent resources out there to advance yourself though.

One great place to start learning game programming is the quake 3 source code. It's the full source for quake 3, so it has all the pieces of a complex 3d game(graphics programming, server-client programming, and gameplay programming). That is if you already have a good understanding of C as the source is not commented at all.

The source code for graphics engines like Ogre and Irrlicht are good for learning graphical programming since they're very well documented. Programming of the actual game elements is basically just logic. If you know C/C++ well, there's really nothing extra you need to learn.

If you're still relatively new to C/C++, then I suggest becoming fully acquainted with pointers, exceptions, classes and the STL and OOP in general(these things are for C++ as C isn't OO), and at least modestly acquainted with asm since inline assembly can provide a good efficiency boost in some situations. Plus understanding assembly gives you good inside knowledge of program mechanics. Advanced knowledge of these concepts if very useful to program your game efficiently and productively.

But this is assuming a complex game, and you'd probably be working with many other developers of varying areas of expertise for a game of such scale. If you have something like Tetris in mind, then just basic to intermediate knowledge is adequate.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would recommened Game Maker for any new game programmer, it has a easy to understand drag and drop functions, and also a coding function for more advanced users, you can make anything in it, from a basic Windows app to a 2d RPG, the limit is your mind, like i said currently me and a friend are making a Pokemon RP Online, this involves using winsock for the server and client communication, it is quite complicated at first, but if you get the hang of it, it is easy. I started with Game Maker, and it's best to start on easy coding, Game Maker uses a language very similar to delphi, it could even be called delphi almost, it is that similar. Once you know GML (Game Maker Language) You can almost learn anything from C, to C# and C++.

They are all quite good, also i recommend getting Game Maker 6.1 if you can find it, it is a lot better than the new version.

rayxproject

Reaction score
Try C++/C# with OpenGL. . . It is a good start to create game. If you would like I can help you with this. I can create you some basic graphics library for rendering objectm becaus by now I can only code but still cannot make a complete set of game.

Last edited:

eliasr

Reaction score
Well now i programming a couple of game, a fps and a 2d game, i use C++ and DirectX.

DirectX have a good documentation, just for start, but to go deeper i need read books.

And, i modeling with Blender

mattura

Reaction score
I've started heaps of games in a huge range of languages, but few that actually made it to full-on, completed games... It can be very hard if you have good ideas to have the stamina to finish what you started. Sometimes you realise halfway through, that the game would be rubbish, and you have to bin it.
I'd say web-games are coming to the height of popularity - especially flash games. It's probably way too hard to start your first game in C or something 'hardcore', so go for something visual, and very simple. The simple games can be the best!
The important thing to do if you are serious about finishing a game is to plan it! Write out the scenarios on paper (yes on paper - this makes a difference!).
Here is my advice:
Make sure there is an element of choice(skill) or luck, or both.
Make sure it is intuitive and easy to play/start
Make sure the game has purpose/direction and goal(s) and ways to measure the success of the player.
Make sure there are setbacks which can deviate the player from the goal/reduce score etc
If you can, make a leaderboard - this will hugely increase the appeal of your game.

x-tin

Reaction score
Anyone here knows any kind of game engine for java? I've been looking for some engine i can use for creating java applet game with 3d functionality.

Last edited:

eliasr

Reaction score
there now two kind of games, the casual and the hardcore games, and its important decide which of these is you target.

Casual games works fine in Flash, Java, Arcade, Web, etc.

Hardcore games works better in C, C++, DirectX, High-end performance machines.

And the programmer's skills are differents to, because the first don't need a great story, production, modeling, engines, physics, etc, just a happy-funny gameplay.

I develop hardcore game and things like Java, Flash, aren't in my targets and i don't recommended.

Chose a side and then you vision will be wide open.

rayxproject

Reaction score
For java try JME (Java Monkey) its a great engine and also accesible for java applet.

javajenius

Reaction score
If you are looking to code a complex game online, then java is probably your best choice.
Online games can also be built in flash, which is easier to learn then java.

It depends on what kind of game your trying to make.