Game Server Hosting

theterminator

Reaction score
For anyone who wants a game server, there is a sale going on at GameServers for a 66 tick 20 player server or 32 player in New York/New Jersey for any game. Use this link then on the side of the site you'll see the sale. Just letting everyone know. I usually don't buy game servers but when I saw this sale, I said, "Wow." So I got a couple of friends(13 year olds) and sent a mail order for the server. Real easy stuff!

Link (Non-referral link).

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a referral link but they have OK servers..

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Psh, I host my own servers off of my internet connection. Never lags, even when I've thrown some 64 player games at it surprisingly, and everyone's pings stay well below 130ms.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, host your own. All you need is a reasonable spec machine and a pretty fast connection (that means not through BT Broadband, lol) and you can host your own games. A lot of the top first person shooters release Linux server applications, you can normally find installation guides with Google for Ubuntu.

kkenny

Reaction score
I host mine occasionally for LAN parties (my internet connection is DSL, so that's not that good) it's pretty durable. 8 gigs of ram intel xeon and has liquid cooling and 1 tb of memory (thats the big stuff)

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
If you are going to post a referral link please make sure you have a non-referral link along with it, I added one in for you now.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
kkenny,

Sounds like a pretty powerful monster =P

You must be able to host some pretty good games there.

-Luke

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
If you are going to host your own games, go to www.speedtest.net and note your upload. 128k will host 4 people, 386k will host 8 people, 768 can hold 16 people, and 1.5mbps can hold up to 32+ people. I have a DSL connection at my house, and I can shove 64 people on it without a problem or any lag due to a large sum of upload I have (plus I have FastPath on my line).

kkenny

Reaction score
kkenny,

Sounds like a pretty powerful monster =P

You must be able to host some pretty good games there.

-Luke

Yep, the only things I can't host are 64 player LAN Parties because for some reason the server always slows down then everyone lags up ;P

D

dWhite

I used to host a private WoW server off my laptop with a home T3 line. It typically held around 1,500 players online at anytime.

:p

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I used to host a private WoW server off my laptop with a home T3 line. It typically held around 1,500 players online at anytime.

:p
dWhite,

How fast is your connection dude? Heck, I wouldn't be able to host a game with 15 people on it.....but 1,500? I'm now officially jealous =P

-Luke.

theterminator

Reaction score
sorry for not putting the normal link, anyways i try to host my own server but i cant get through with it. the computers in my room so it makes soo much noice and sometimes I get another IP and i dont think my ISP has static ips to give to people

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
dWhite,

How fast is your connection dude? Heck, I wouldn't be able to host a game with 15 people on it.....but 1,500? I'm now officially jealous =P

-Luke.

I can host 64 people off of a 1.5Mbps DSL connection without a problem and with no lag, but a T3 line will give you 45Mbps both on the upload and download. Upload is the main key to hosting games. Just as long as your download is the same to or faster than your upload, then there's nothing to worry about if the upload is sufficient.