Good evening to all

I am struggling like mad trying to understand some of this currently
On logging in Im shown the following

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I see eliteprojects.com as being available for purchase, for that domain to be functional you would need to first buy it and then configure it for use with your account on our server (that particular domain is rather expensive though, sitting in the thousands of dollars range).

This all means that you do not actually have a working domain on your account at this time. My recommendation is that you either change the domain to eliteprojects.x10host.com or simply change back to what you initially had (eliteelectronics.x10host.com).

The panel will att this time not reflect properly changes you make within DirectAdmin.

eliteel5

Reaction score
Hi Anna

Thanking you for your reply

I understand the part about the domain name being functional and owned by another person but could you advise why your system doesn't check on this knowing this would present an issue later

I have a number of questions that I need to ask being this would be the first major project that I want to complete with all other subjects I'm trying to master currently

I hope you dont mind me asking as i do need some guidance on this

2nd question

Im planning on doing considerable works to this during the next few months

Taking into account your advice I also would like this to be a secure site as I see that I need to change this to https rather than http I have read your notes and many others on setting up self signed certificates or registering via cloud fare

Would some one be kind enough to write a step by step tutorial on how to set this up as this loses me completely My understanding of DNS services is relatively good in that I understand what DNS is and what it does , but setting this up is something else even via their portal from some one like myself having me completely confused

What exactly do I enter into these fields for domain

Additionally the mx record which is as I understand a pointer to your mail server for the domain can be set to point to my gmail account but I dont quite know what to enter at this point or where I get this information from

I would really appreciate and I think also other people whom dont really understand this some type of media YouTube presentation applying to your platform giving a step by step guide

This would really be of great help

Is this possible at all ?

3rd question

Do you sell and register the domain names if so being as I am currently unemployed with very little funds would you be able to supply a domain name and how much would that cost me near what Im using currently

PS Its a case of really broke and finding out how to make some real progress this year with little support other than what I can teach myself via the net

Finally

Nodejs

Is this possible on your severs and if so how and where do I install this

Thanking you for all your help / advice to date I appreciate your time and patience with people like myself

Sincerely

Mark

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I understand the part about the domain name being functional and owned by another person but could you advise why your system doesn't check on this knowing this would present an issue later

Blocking users from adding hosting adds complexity that could break your website. All of the security is on the registrar side, so it's something that would hurt more than help.

Taking into account your advice I also would like this to be a secure site as I see that I need to change this to https rather than http

X10 now offers free SSL through let's encrypt. You just have to go to SSL settings (you can type this in the Direct Admin search bar) and turn it on.

What exactly do I enter into these fields for domain

When you sign up for a domain, you will be asked for the IP address of your server. This is the A record which binds your domain to a server. MX records can be added to specify where mail goes when it is sent to you. This is specific to the registrar you choose. Make sure your registrar lets you add this records, as x10hosting free does NOT allow you to add DNS.

Do you sell and register the domain names if so being as I am currently unemployed with very little funds would you be able to supply a domain name and how much would that cost me near what Im using currently

x10 is indeed a registrar if you have an x10premium account. I love x10 and I've been here since 2008, but my preference is namecheap for domain registration. They have a ton to choose from and they also have extensive DNS management and other features that x10 does not currently support. There's no reason you need a domain if you're happy with a .x10host.com domain; you can just have a shorter URL and theoretically higher ranked matches on search engines if you do.

Nodejs

Is this possible on your severs and if so how and where do I install this

Javascript is a client-side programming language, so nothing is done at all on x10's (server) side. You will build your website on your personal computer, then upload the production version to x10. There's no option to build the website on the server because x10hosting free does not have SSH access, but that's really a pain, and it's much better to do this on your PC.

Since you have so many questions, I recommend that you take this one step at a time, and create new threads every time you have a new issue. To get you started, research why (and why not) you should have a TLD (top-level domain). Once you have a website, you probably don't want to change the domain at a later time, so once you pick something, be prepared to stick with it. If you want a TLD, then you need to find a good registrar; they should have privacy guard and DNS hosting at the very least.

eliteel5

Reaction score
Blocking users from adding hosting adds complexity that could break your website. All of the security is on the registrar side, so it's something that would hurt more than help.

X10 now offers free SSL through let's encrypt. You just have to go to SSL settings (you can type this in the Direct Admin search bar) and turn it on.

When you sign up for a domain, you will be asked for the IP address of your server. This is the A record which binds your domain to a server. MX records can be added to specify where mail goes when it is sent to you. This is specific to the registrar you choose. Make sure your registrar lets you add this records, as x10hosting free does NOT allow you to add DNS.

x10 is indeed a registrar if you have an x10premium account. I love x10 and I've been here since 2008, but my preference is namecheap for domain registration. They have a ton to choose from and they also have extensive DNS management and other features that x10 does not currently support. There's no reason you need a domain if you're happy with a .x10host.com domain; you can just have a shorter URL and theoretically higher ranked matches on search engines if you do.

Javascript is a client-side programming language, so nothing is done at all on x10's (server) side. You will build your website on your personal computer, then upload the production version to x10. There's no option to build the website on the server because x10hosting free does not have SSH access, but that's really a pain, and it's much better to do this on your PC.

Since you have so many questions, I recommend that you take this one step at a time, and create new threads every time you have a new issue. To get you started, research why (and why not) you should have a TLD (top-level domain). Once you have a website, you probably don't want to change the domain at a later time, so once you pick something, be prepared to stick with it. If you want a TLD, then you need to find a good registrar; they should have privacy guard and DNS hosting at the very least.

Thanking you garrettroyce for your advice to date I will go and try this

Lets see if I can get my head round this

Have a good day